Chapter 16

Joaquin held Kevin's hand with pride and he walked down the stairs with him.

For a spilt second, he felt like he wasn't a drug dealing, fighter Southside serpent. He felt like an actual student who was gonna go places, and who could be with his boyfriend whenever without having to lie to him or keep anything from him.

That was a compete dream however.

Kevin sat down at the table, next to Joaquin and Denise. Opposite him was his mother who was next to Pat and his dad was at the end of the table next to Kathy.

He dished up food, and as soon as Kevin and his mom made eye contact at the table, he knew it was gonna be awkward.

"So, how long? You two?" She asked quickly, Kevin and Joaquin looked at one another.

Joaquin gave her a little smile "uhh, I think it's been around two weeks?" He looked to Kevin for extra support, he just nodded and held his hand under the table. Kathy rolled her eyes and everyone started eating.

Sheriff Keller restarted a convocation, sitting up slightly. "So Kathy, where was you living?" He asked, unsure of what to actually ask. She looked at him, still with the same disgusted face she always wore.

"New York." She replied, the two girls smiled slightly. Kevin smiled at Pat from across the room which made her smile even more.

Joaquin was full of fear, it was nerve-racking for him to be at his boyfriend house with his dad who is the sheriff and his homophobic mom who clearly wasn't impressed easily.

He felt Kevin's hand on his thigh, which calmed him down slightly.

"So Joaquin, where are you from?" Sheriff Keller asked him, Joaquin looked up slightly and smiled.

"Around the Southside, I go to Southside High if you're wondering" He told him, Kathy looked at him.

"Lot's of Drugs there, huh?" She asked, Joaquin nodded. Kathy raised an eyebrow. "Do you deal or take any?" She questioned, Kevin and Sheriff Keller looked at her with high eyebrows.

"Kathy."

"Mom."

She rolled her eyes and sat back, Joaquin gulped slightly and looked at her.

"No, Ma'am" He replied, Kevin knew he was lying but he didn't say anything at all.

Sheriff Keller looked to Kathy. "Since when did you care about Kevin or who he was dating?" He asked with a hint of sarcasm which made his son smile ever so slightly. She rolled her eyes.

"Incase he was looking for a gender or sexuality change, this all is a phase after all.-" She started, Kevin's smile dropped and Joaquin's face fell with a slight anger. Sheriff Keller looked at her again with an unappealing look.

"Kathy!" He shouted, the girls looked at their mom then Thomas. Kevin gripped Joaquin's hand tightly, he then brought it to the table and glared at his mom.

"A phase lasts roughly a couple of months, nearly a year sometimes." Kevin explained sharply and accurately. "It's been a couple of years." He spat, still holding Joaquin's hand.

She focused on Joaquin.

"Joaquin.. how long have you been like this?" She questioned arrogantly. He looked at her with a slight slight smirk. "I'm Bisexual, And I've been so since I was 12." She told him, he gripped Kevin's hand even more.

"I'm now 18, and nothing has changed." Everyone looked at him and gave him a smile, except from Kathy who was humiliated and just mumbled under her breath.