Chapter 1

Prologue

Rosalyn was riding King- a black arabian thoroughbred cross with fervour. She knew she was being unnecessarily reckless. But with her hair fluttering behind her as she raced into the woods, she figured she didn't care.

She was riding astride in breeches, instead of the sidesaddle in those silly frocks.

She hadn't felt this free in months...years. She felt powerful and in control. Besides, she had no reason to slow down, she was confident that she could handle this horse.

The wind whipped about her, she laughed like a lunatic, her breathy laughter and her horse's hoofbeats on the hard terrain the only sounds in the silent woods.

And then she heard another sound.

Hoofbeats.

But they weren't King's.

It was probably just another rider, she thought.

Very well, she'd have to change her direction.

She turned right and kept riding, thinking she'd left the rider behind.

And then she heard him again, riding at a speed rivalling hers.

Someone was following her.

Her heartbeat accelerated, fear settled in her belly. She didn't look back, she just kept riding, never once slowing down.

But the rider was following her relentlessly, now ridiculously close to her.

She looked back trying to see him, but with the sun barely rising on the horizon, she couldn't make out his features. But he was large and with that knowledge, came more fear.

There was a low hanging branch before her, but by the time she turned to the front and saw it, it was too late.

She was thrown from her horse, and hit the ground with a loud cry. But she was just a little sore and not severely hurt thanks to the soft patch of grass that had acted as a cushion.

In that moment she saw the rider and his white horse take a magnificent leap over the branch, landing gracefully a few feet away from her.

She gasped when she saw his face. He was so breathtakingly handsome that she couldn't rein in her reaction. Had she been more fanciful, she would've thought he was Prince Charming, with his white horse and impeccable riding attire.

But Rosalyn was not fanciful. And this was no prince. She realised that he was just an arrogant Lord who wanted to establish his superiority to her. Her suspicions were confirmed when he spoke, looking down at her.

"You shouldn't try riding such a large horse when you don't even know how," and rode off, leaving an angry, sputtering Rosalyn there.

March 1816
London

"You won't believe what just happened!" Rosalyn said as she stormed into the breakfast parlour in her house or rather, her brother- the Earl of Morley, Ralph Orford's house.