Chapter 10

Rosalyn received a note the next day. It was from him.

And much to her exasperation, Sarah made her read it out aloud.

It said, "Meet me in the woods when dawn breaks, our usual spot. Wear breeches. We will be gone until noon, so make sure you have someone cover up for you. I'm sure Lady Alice could device a plan.

Yours,
Theodore."

Alice groaned. This meant he'd guessed that she was responsible for what was now fondly known as the Camden ball fiasco.

"Usual spot, eh?" Vanessa asked grinning.

"I think he's a little too familiar," Alice commented, chewing on her lower lip.

"Well they've kissed, what do you expect?" Sarah smirked.

"I think this is all going a little too fast, Rosa. Are you sure about him?" Alice asked, her brows pulling together.

The girls gaped at her. Alice showing concern?

"Alice, you have nothing to worry about. I have no designs on him," Rosalyn smiled.

"Yes, but can you say the same for him? He clearly seems to want you and men like him very rarely want women with good intentions," she replied, her brows still pulled together.

Oh my, she's really worried.

"He has apologised for kissing me. It was apparently to shut me up," Rosalyn grunted.

That made Alice chuckle and she seemed to relax a bit.

"I still think going for this race is a terrible plan."

"Would you want me to go alone?"

"Well, no."

Rosalyn  just shrugged, effectively closing the chapter. Her friends were extremely tiresome and annoying. But she knew that they loved her and had only her best interests at heart.

The next day.

Theo was waiting for Rosalyn in the woods in their clearing, holding the greatcoat and hat he'd brought with him.

She'd come yesterday as well, dressed in a pretty yet practical riding gown. He missed seeing her in breeches.

That would be remedied today, he thought grinning. She came then, catching him smiling. Perched magnificently on her horse.

"Why are you smiling?" she asked and then, "Oh Lord! I'm turning into Vanessa," she groaned.

He merely chuckled and helped her down.

He lead her to his carriage that was parked a little far from there.

"What about King?" Rosalyn asked.

"I'm leaving a footman here to take care of our horses."

"You ready to go?" He asked.

"Yes," she smiled and Theo felt like someone just punched him in the gut.

To be in closed space with her was torture. With ever breath he took, her scent wafted into his nostrils, heightening his awareness of her. And she honestly wasn't helping.

She seemed to be in excellent spirits, cracking jokes and giggling.

He cursed his fate for doing this to him.
For bringing such a desirable woman into his life. Normally he wouldn't mind. But this was one woman he couldn't have and that frustrated him beyond reason.

He had to say, she looked extremely lovely even in those ill fitted clothes. She looked adorable, her cheeks flushed with delight.

Theo swallowed as he tried to mentally prepare himself for a day of this sweet agony.

They reached the venue an hour later.

He climbed out and then helped her out. And after making sure no one was looking, Theo pulled her hat down and adjusted her greatcoat so it covered her fine figure. Really, how stupid could men be to not realise that the person underneath this coat was a woman?

He caught her blushing. Was it because of his familiarity?

He was pleased, for some inconceivable reason.

You have no business making her blush, his subconscious reprimanded him. Theo ignored it.

"Go Ginger go!" Rosalyn was hollering, standing on her toes and cheering for a  filly.

He had warned her to keep her mouth shut. She clearly didn't remember his instructions. And much to his amusement, not a single man turned to look at her. How could they not recognise a female voice? Men were really idiots.

He recalled the time he'd banged against her and thought that she was a boy. He chuckled at that thought.

After a while, they were seated on a log behind a barn. Rosalyn was stuffing the sandwiches he'd brought with him into her mouth like a starved child.

Theo concluded that she was unladylike. He also concluded that he found unladylike behaviour extremely appealing, starting today.

"You're really good at this, aren't you?" He asked, eyeing her clutching her bag of winnings tightly in her other hand with barely contained mirth.

She just nodded sagely.

"Why do the ladies like you so much?" she asked, suddenly.

"I'm deeply wounded that you have to ask," he gasped, his eyes wide with mock horror.

"You're so dramatic, just answer my question," she giggled.

"Hmm...well, there's my charm, my disarming smile, my seduction skills, my handsome visage. Oh I could go on and on."

"Let's not forget, your modesty," she commented, dryly.

"Yes, that," he grinned boyishly.

"So, about your seduction skills...how do you do it?" she asked, cocking her head to one side, looking genuinely curious.

"My lady, do you want me to demonstrate?" he laughed, only half joking. But she didn't need to know that.

"It isn't necessary," she said cooly with a nonchalant wave of her hand, but she couldn't fool him. Theo saw a telltale blush suffuse her face.

He excused himself then, trying to find them some water so they could clean up and instructed her to stay put.

Rosalyn was relaxing, the weather was surprisingly pleasant. Her hat lay forgotten beside her, well Theodore's hat.

She couldn't believe how much fun she had today. Horse racing was certainly more fun with company. Theodore was simply amazing.

To say that he was handsome would be an understatement of the century. And to add to that were his lethal wit and charm. How was any woman to resist him?

It somehow felt like he'd been designed to test her will power. But she could be strong. She was going to be his friend and that was about it.

But why can't he be more, her subconscious whined.

Because he's not the marrying sort and I'm not the dallying sort, she snapped back at her.

Rosalyn was arguing with herself when she heard someone coming. At first she thought it was Theodore.

But then it seemed like there was more than one person.

And then they came into view– two men. One of them was burly and the other was short and thin.

They stopped short when they saw Rosalyn.

"Whut do we 'ave 'ere?" the big man sneered and looked at his friend who was looking at Rosalyn with unmasked desire. The other man just smiled, showcasing his missing teeth.

Rosalyn swallowed, an ugly feeling settling deep in her belly.