Chapter 17

Rosalyn lay on her bed while tears rolled down her face. She didn't know why she was crying. Her friends were outside with Ralph. She didn't want to speak to anyone right now and they understood.

Just then, "open the door right now, Rosa or I swear I'll knock it down," came Alice's loud voice, punctuated with three loud thuds.

What had she expected? That her friends would leave her to her own devices when she was upset?

She sighed and got up, making her way to the door.

All her friends looked thunderous.

"Ralph?" she questioned softly.

"We got rid of him," Alice grinned jauntily.

"He's so stubborn, just like you. We couldn't get him to leave," Vanessa was grumbling.

"Can we talk about the matter at hand?" Sarah sighed, signalling to Rosalyn.

"Yes, of course," Vanessa said sheepishly.

Once they were settled on the bed, Sarah spoke up.

"What's wrong? Did Lord Fortescue break your heart?"

"No," she chuckled.

"Then?" Alice prompted rather exasperatedly when Rosalyn didn't say anything further.

"I think he declared his feelings for me," she murmured.

"You think?" Vanessa asked dubiously at the same time Sarah muttered a "thank god," and Alice a "finally!"

"I think his act with Lady Petal today was to make me jealous."

"We'd gathered as much," Sarah said drily.

"What is the problem then?" Vanessa probed.

"I'm confused," Rosalyn said with great feeling.

"Confused about your feelings or his?"

"Both. It's too soon, don't you think?"

"It is, but that doesn't matter."

"Tell me something," Alice said, "what you have with him, do you want it with anyone else?"

Rosalyn found herself shaking her head.

No.

She only wanted it with him. She wanted it all only with him.

The realisation made her smile.

"There. That was easier than I'd thought," Vanessa grinned.

"But he's a rake," she said uselessly.

"Haven't you heard? Reformed rakes make the best husbands," Sarah said airily.

"How can I be sure that he's not marrying me because I'm convenient and because of his father's silly ultimatum?"

"You're an idiot," Alice said, shaking her head.

"Yes, an idiot. Have you seen the way he looks at you?" Sarah rolled her eyes.

"I don't think it has anything to do with convenience. If he wanted convenience, he could have had any biddable debutante. But he chose you and we all know how biddable you are," Alice grinned.

"He didn't tell me he loved me," she said, grasping at straws now.

"He would've if you'd given him a chance," Sarah grunted.