Chapter 19

"She loves him? Ha! She hardly knows him, Alice," Ralph shouted.

"She's known him for two whole months, I know people who claim to have fallen in love in a day," Alice reasoned.

"I don't care about other people!" He thundered.

"Ralph..."

"No, Alice. I'm not endorsing this match. Theodore is a good friend, but he's not the kind of man I want my little sister to marry. He'll break her heart, destroy her spirit..."

"Ralph, listen to yourself. You're being unreasonably stubborn."

"Unreasonably?" He gaped.

"Yes. When was the last time you saw Lord Fortescue with another woman?"

"Just the other day..." he trailed off, desperately he trying to recollect something that hadn't even taken place.

"I knew it," Alice smirked.

Ralph muttered something under his breath. Alice didn't think she wanted to know what he'd said.

She set her hand on his shoulders and pushed him onto the chair, looming over him.

He looked taken aback by her forwardness.

"Look Ralph, your sister loves Lord Fortescue and he loves her back. His intentions are pure, well not that pure but at least..."

"What do you mean?" Ralph cut her off, his low voice scaring Alice.

"Oh nothing..."

"Alice," he growled.

"Oh alright. Rosalyn is ruined."

"What?" Ralph roared, getting up from his chair. Alice pushed him back down.

"It's not so terrible," she hedged.

"That bastard will marry my sister or I'll kill him with my bare hands," he threatened.

"There, that's more like it," Alice smiled, relived for now. But she did worry a little about Lord Fortescue's safety. Ralph was not going to let this go easily.

"You need to help, Ralph. We have very little time, we must do something before Lady Petal and Lord Fortescue's betrothal is announced. You can deal with them later."

"What do I have to do?" Ralph murmured, squeezing his eyes shut, as if in pain.

Alice explained what he he had to do. He protested many times but Alice managed to convince him somehow.

"I think this is extremely foolish. Not to mention, I might end up hurting Lady Petal's feelings," he complained.

"She's ruining Rosalyn's life. Do you really care?" She asked drily.

"Not anymore," he said, his eyes turning hard.

"Good. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some work to do. You know when to act, do you not?"

Ralph merely nodded.

Alice sashayed past him, satisfied.

Hyde Park, London.

"Is she here yet?" Vanessa whispered impatiently.