Chapter 16

"What is the time?" Rosalyn asked Ralph.

"For the love of...Rosalyn! This is the sixth time you're asking me," Ralph snapped.

"Fifth," Vanessa murmured.

Clearly Ralph didn't appreciate her correcting him for the glare he gave her could freeze the bravest of men.

And then Theodore appeared.

After twenty minutes.

Lady Petal was on his arm, practically glowing. He then bent down and whispered something in her ear. She giggled. Really, their behaviour was getting quite nauseating.

Why did he have to behave so familiarly with her?

And then he excused himself and made his way to the punch stand.

Rosalyn practically raced to the other side of the of the dance floor. She was aware that she must have looked quite ridiculous waddling about like a duck because with all those hoops and her corset, she could only just manage to waddle. She didn't particularly care just then.

"What are you doing?" she hissed at his back once she'd reached him.

"Excuse me?" He turned around slowly, his brow arched upward.

"I need to talk to you," she said, ignoring his attitude.

He gestured for her to talk.

"Privately," she added, rolling her eyes.

"Lead the way, my lady," he murmured, looking like he wanted to be done with this.

Rosalyn tried to hide her hurt as she lead him into the dimly lit maze.

"If you don't mind my asking, just what are you doing?"

"What exactly are you referring to?" He asked and Rosalyn knew he was being deliberately obtuse.

"Your unseemly behaviour with Lady Petal," she gritted out.

"Oh. I don't know what's so unseemly about it. I thought this was how courting worked."

"Yes, but things are going too fast," she said, exasperated.

"I do not have much time, if you recall, my Lady," he smiled ruefully.

"You two simply do not suit," she tried again.

"After today I discovered that we suit each other perfectly," he grinned salaciously.

Rosalyn turned red.

Theo didn't know if it was with embarrassment or anger.

And he was lying blatantly. After today, he'd discovered that Lady Petal was as dull as ditchwater. But she was a sweet lady. None of that mattered though as he had no intention of marrying her.

"There are so many other ladies," she was muttering.

"Yes, but I like her," he said firmly. That only angered her more.

"If you continue this behaviour, the ton will have you dragged to the alter by tomorrow. You were publicly touching her and that conduct is beyond inappropriate," she seemed disgusted.

Ah, Theo was enjoying himself. If only he could tell her that she was the only lady he wanted to touch, inappropriately or otherwise.

"What if I told you that that was my intention?" he smirked, folding his hands and leaning against a lamp pole.

"Look Theodore, you still have a month. I see you as a dear friend and I don't want you rushing into things. She's the wrong woman for you."

Dear friend? What a joke.

"What makes her the wrong woman for me?"

"For starters, you have nothing in common."

He merely raised his brow.

"She has no knowledge of horses whereas you're so passionate about them. You cannot hold an intelligent conversation with her. All she thinks about are gowns and bonnets," she said impassioned.

"She also thinks about pudding a lot," he grinned.

"Exactly my point. You'll be bored to tears in a matter of days, if that."

"Alright, I shall concede that we do not have any common interests. But tell me, which woman in the ton is as passionate about horses as I am, hmm?"

"I am," she blurted out rather loudly, her fists clenched at her sides.

Theo resisted the urge to pump his fist in the air victoriously.

And then realising what she'd said, she slapped a hand over her mouth.

She turned around, to bolt, no doubt.

"Not so fast," he tutted, catching hold of her wrist.

"Let me go," she twisted her hand this way and that.

"Not until you tell me what you meant."

"I didn't mean anything. I shouldn't have said anything," she hissed.

"Rosalyn, the only woman I want is you," he said sincerely.

She gasped.

"You don't mean that," she replied.

"Don't condescend me. I know what I mean. You've lead me on a merry chase all these days, but no more," he said fiercely.

He hadn't planned on declaring his feelings so soon. But when he'd seen her trying to run from him, something in him had snapped.

Theo couldn't hold in his feelings any longer. Especially when she looked this way. He'd had a hard time keeping himself away from her today. It was the first time he was seeing her in pink and she looked so damned lovely and innocent.

"Please let me go," she whispered, tears brimming in her eyes.

He released her immediately and she ran. Hell, he didn't want her crying.

After a few seconds, he decided to follow her. He couldn't just let her go.

He chased her but she'd already disappeared. And then he saw a the lacy edge of her skirt as she turned left.

He followed, only to find Lady Petal standing there, her coiffure falling apart.

"My Lady, have you seen Lady Rosalyn?" He asked, his gut asking him to flee.

But before she could answer, Lady Cowper, Lady Petal's Mother came there running.

"Oh heavens! I can't believe it, you compromised my daughter, Lord Fortescue," she shouted.

"Don't," he murmured, his voice deathly low.

"You'll have to marry her now," she continued with a hand clutched to her chest, not heeding him.

Lady Petal had the grace to look guilty.

A few minutes later, Baron Cowper and his son were there as well, looking confused.

Lady Cowper enlightened them.

"You will marry her or I'll see you at dawn," the young Cowper threatened him, coming at him.

Theo easily dodged his advance.

He didn't know how to react. Lady Cowper was notorious for finding her daughter in compromising positions with many gentlemen. But Theo would have a hard time convincing everybody because he'd been all over her today, although he'd not made any untoward advances.

"I have not compromised your sister," he sighed.

But young Cowper merely scoffed.

Oh lord. What had he gotten himself into?