Chapter 20

The next morning.

Sarah shot up from bed when she heard a loud knock on the door. She looked beside her to find Rosalyn missing. Had she gone on a ride again? It was four in the morning, for God's sake.

She got up and pulled the door open to find John, the Orford butler standing there looking worried.

"What is it, Johnson?" she yawned.

"I apologise for waking you at this hour, my Lady. This missive arrived for you ladies just now. I would've informed the Earl first, but he's not at home. The boy who brought it said that I must deliver it to you right way," he said.

Sarah nodded, taking the note from him.

Her eyes scanned the contents quickly. She ran to Alice and Vanessa's room and entered without knocking.

"Wake up," she shook them.

"In a moment," Alice replied, her voice gravelly.

"Goodness gracious, it's still dark. What is it?" Vanessa groaned.

"Lord Fortescue challenged Lady Petal's brother to a duel. It's to take place in a few hours. We must stop it," she said.

Alice and Vanessa shot up from the bed.

"A duel?" Vanessa gasped.

"Of all the preposterous..." Alice was muttering, trying to put on her dress.

"Wrong hole," Vanessa chuckled before donning her own dress.

"Damn," Alice muttered again.

"Where's Rosalyn?" she asked once they were dressed.

"I honestly don't know. I'm hoping she's gone on a ride, but I don't know where she usually rides," Sarah frowned.

"We don't have time to find her, we must act fast," Alice said.

Vanessa nodded her agreement.

"We need Lady Petal," Alice said once they'd called for a hackney.

"Her father and brother locked her in her room because she tried to come to us last night," Sarah said.

"So melodramatic," Vanessa rolled her eyes.

They arrived at the townhouse that the Cowpers had rented for the season.

"Where's Lady Petal?" Alice asked the sleepy butler, pushing past him.

"My Lady! I request you to wait in the parlour. I shall ask the Lady if she's ready to receive now," he said, trying to catch up with them.

"Stuff it and tell us where she is."

"What's all this commotion about?" came Lady Cowper wearing her night gown.

She looked shocked on seeing the ladies, but quickly reined in her surprise.

"What brings you here at this hour, Ladies? Good morning, I think?" she blinked.

"Good morning, my Lady. Where's Lady Petal? We're afraid we can't stay and chat. We have a duel to prevent," Alice said, her eyes hard.

Her tone brooked no argument and although Lady Cowper's eyes widened, she still tried.

"I'm sorry but my daughter is still asleep, Lady Alice. I must request to call upon her at a more decent hour..."

"Petal!" All three of them hollered. They barged into the hallway, shouting out her name. They ignored Lady Cowper who was sputtering angrily behind them.