Chapter 13

The Orrery ball
London

"So you've decided then?" Theo asked Rosalyn, trying very hard to conceal his gleeful smile.

Rosalyn had just told him that she won't be attending horse races anymore because they weren't safe. He didn't know why or how she'd suddenly become wise, but he didn't care.

She nodded sagely.

"Ralph and I had a little chat. I don't want him worrying on my account. Besides, he has a lot on his mind now," she said with a secret smile.

Oh sweet Ralph.

"Why are you being so mysterious? What's happening in his life?" he smiled.

"Oh I probably shouldn't tell, but he has a certain lady on his mind."

"Lady Alice eh?"

"You knew?" she gasped.

"Of course, I knew. I just didn't know if his intentions towards her were honourable," he winked.

"His intentions better be honourable," she muttered, annoyed that he already knew, no doubt.

"Lady Alice and that old stick, who would've thought," he grinned.

"Ralph is your age, so that makes you old too" she pointed out needlessly.

"Do you think I'm old then, my lady?" he turned towards her, subjecting her to the full force of his rakish charm. He knew from experience about the effect it had on the Ladies.

"I don't know if I'd call you old," she stuttered uncertainly.

He only grinned.

"But you're not getting any younger either," she said, echoing his mother's words.

"Your point being?" He raised a brow.

"You have to find a wife. And soon. You're turning thirty in two months."

"Isn't that your job?"

"I can't help you if you keep rejecting every woman I suggest," she muttered.

"And you reject every woman I choose," he countered.

"All the women you choose have all the intelligence of a pigeon."

"But they also have the body of a Greek goddess," he murmured effecting a lewd expression.

"Stop," she giggled and swatted his arm playfully.

He loved seeing her this way, carefree and relaxed. But it was becoming increasingly difficult for Theo to remain her friend.

She was so damned alluring.

He'd danced two sets with her today and that itself had made heads turn. What was he to do? He couldn't watch her dance with the other simpering idiots.

She had not mentioned their kiss, it was as if it had never happened. Except, it had. And Theo remembered it quite vividly.