Chapeter 21

Rosalyn was sitting beneath their tree, her face resting on her knees. She wasn't sobbing anymore, it felt like all the tears in her had dried up.

She looked up when she heard the familiar sounds of boot against wet soil.

Theodore.

"You look terrible," he murmured.

"So do you," she shot back, standing up.

He only grinned, walking to her.

"You shouldn't be here," she whispered, trying not to cry.

"Why not?" He asked, setting his hands on her waist and pulling her to him.

"My Lord..."

"Theodore," he admonished mildly.

"Theodore, we can't do this. You're betrothed now," she said, pushing against his chest.

He kissed her. This kiss so different from all the others they'd shared. It was a kiss of possession, of love, of need. It was a kiss that made her forget where she began and where he ended. She kissed him back, wanting to prolong this tantalising dance.

Theo made desperate sweeps of her mouth with his tongue, seeking more of her sweetness. He revelled in every single answering slash of her tongue against his, every hitch in her breath.

And then she pushed against him, ending their kiss.

"Rosalyn..." he cajoled, reaching out to her.

"No," she held out her hand, stopping him. Her blue eyes flashed with some unknown emotion.

"What no?"

"You cannot kiss me."

"Why the hell not? I plan on kissing you that way everyday for the for the rest of my life."

Her mouth fell open. She closed it then, like a fish.

And then she was furious, the tips of her
ears turned a peculiar shade of red.

"I will not be your mistress," she said, her voice low.

Theo made a choking sound.

"I'm offended that you would even think such a thing," he growled.

"What did you mean then? You're to marry Lady Petal!"

"No, I'm not."

"What are you saying?" she asked, her eyes filling with hope.

"There was a duel this morning," he grinned.

Rosalyn gasped.

"Are you hurt?" she asked concerned, cupping his cheek.

"I'm fine. But Gavin was shot."

"Lord Ker? But how? Is he alright?"

"He's fine. You'll have to ask your friends about the how though..."

"My friends?" she asked, her brow wrinkling in confusion.

"They were there. I don't know why or how," he chuckled.

"Oh Lord."

"Those were my exact sentiments when I saw them running towards us," he said drily.

Rosalyn closed her eyes, unable to believe the turn of events.

When she opened her eyes, she found Theo before her, down on his knee.

"I love you, Rosalyn. I love the way you laugh, the way you argue with me. I love how you love horses just as much as I. But most of all, I love how brave and fearless you are. My life would've been extremely dull if not for you. You're unlike any other woman. So will you marry me? And I ask for purely selfish reasons," he grinned.

"Yes, damn you!" she replied, hugging him and tumbling them both down as a result.

"I love you," she smiled and buried her face in his chest, too overcome to do anything else.

"I love you more," he smiled.

February, 1821

"I must confess, I'm quite jealous of Sarah. This is the third voyage she's going on," Rosalyn huffed.

"You don't even like to travel. You were sick during the entire duration of our honeymoon," Theo grinned, buttering his toast.

"Still..." she wrinkled her nose.

"Jack, stop throwing grape at your sister," Rosalyn scolded her four year old son.

He only chortled gleefully.

"I don't mean to be rude, but I'm glad you're friends are more mature now. Although their intentions were good, they could be a tad overbearing at times," he chuckled.

"Don't forget, they are the reason we're married today," she snickered.

"Hardly," he snorted.

"Why do I feel like they might not agree with you?" Rosalyn mused.

Theo chuckled. He would rather die than admit it, but the ladies had done everything they could.

"You must admit that Alice did control Ralph when you visited him after the duel," she said.

"Well, clearly she didn't do her best because I attended my own wedding with a black eye and busted lip," he said drily.

Rosalyn laughed, remembering how ridiculous Theo had looked on their wedding.

"And don't forget, we have stables to run. The best ones in England, if you recall," he said airily making Rosalyn again.

Her husband was certainly not modest when it came to his stables and for good reason.

"Let's not forget, those stables and your mother are the reasons that we're married," Rosalyn grinned.

"She's still smug about it," he grunted.

That night.

"I can't seem to fall asleep," Rosalyn murmured, snuggling into her husband's warmth.

"Me neither," he replied.

"Now what?"

"Want to go on a ride?" He asked and she heard the smile in his voice.

"Always," she grinned, already getting up to don her clothes.

"Thank god you didn't waste all that time wearing that riding habit," Theo said after a while.

They were laying on the cool grass, gazing at the stars in their clearing. Ever since they got married, they'd used that clearing for more than just resting their horses.

"I knew you would ruin it and wrinkle it beyond repair," she huffed, lying on his coat while her shirt and breeches lay somewhere beside them.

"Uh huh," he smirked.

Rosalyn looked at her husband, the love of her life. Her breath caught when she saw him looking at her. How did he manage to do this to her even after all this time?

"I love you," she whispered.

"I love you more," he whispered, hugging her close.

~~~THE END~~~