Chapter 18

"Theo," she said, her mouth forming a stubborn mulish line.

"Rosalyn, listen to yourself. What you're asking for..."

"Don't you want it too?"

"I've wanted it all from the day I set my eyes on you," he said fiercely.

Rosalyn's lips formed that perfect little o he loved so much. God, how was he to resist her?

"Then take me," she said wantonly.

Something snapped in Theo then, he was no saint after all.

He pulled her to him and kissed her with all the passion in him, pouring all his need into this kiss.

And the way she responded only inflamed his desperation to possess her.

His hands that were entangled in her silky hair slid down her slim back, her waist and finally rested on her bottom, doing all sorts of wicked things to her.

She groaned her need and wrapped her hands more firmly around his neck.

Theo couldn't handle it any longer, he pulled open the door of his study and threw her over his shoulder, the way he had during their first horse race.

She squealed her surprise and that pleased him immensely.

As he shut the door of his chamber, he silently sent a grateful prayer heavenwards for bringing Rosalyn into his life and then for sending his mother to Bath.

He stalked her like a predator and she stood stock-still like his startled prey.

Good, Theo thought wiping the back of his hand across his mouth as he closed in on her.

He was absurdly pleased that she was the only woman to ever enter his chambers. She was different, special. And she was going to be his wife.

Yes, his wife.

There was no way he was marrying Lady Petal after this, the consequences be damned. He'd fight that goddamned duel if he had to. He didn't care about any scandal. His mother would understand.

Theo looked at her brave face. She was the most amazing woman in all of England. He'd be damned if he let her go because of a silly mother and daughter duo.

He didn't deem it necessary to tell this to Rosalyn. Surely she'd know that he wouldn't ruin her and not marry her. He had more respect for her than that.

And love.

And so he spent the rest of the night showing her all the ways in which a man could love a woman. His actions showing her how much he wanted her, how much he loved her when words failed him.

The next morning.

Rosalyn woke up sometime before dawn. She sleepily squirmed because of the heat only to realise that she was pressing up next to  Theo.

She looked up to find him staring at her with an expression that was part amusement and part torture.

She knew why.

She grinned mischievously, he only growled.

After an hour, Rosalyn was getting dressed, ready to leave.

She was trying her hardest to appear brave, smiling at him as if her heart wasn't breaking into a million little pieces.

What hurt her more was that while he appeared thoughtful, he didn't seem as devastated as her.

Were men always so unemotional?

She swallowed, steeling herself against the anguish in her heart. She wouldn't cry before him, she'd known what she was getting into last night. She just hadn't cared. But she still didn't regret her actions.

This was probably the last time she was going to see him or be alone with him.

After Theo dropped her home, she sneaked in as though she was a thief.

Sarah, Alice and Vanessa had covered up for her last night. They were waiting for her when she strode into her room.

And only when she saw them did the tears start to fall. They were all there, ready to provide comfort, not asking any questions. But Rosalyn told them everything, as best as she could while loud sobs wracked her entire being.

They were surprisingly silent, not admonishing her or Theodore for their actions, in fact they seemed sympathetic towards both of them.

After a while, Rosalyn fell asleep, the grief tiring her.

But her friends were awake, gazing at her sullen face. There was a steely determination in each of their eyes. They weren't going to just sit and watch their friend lose the only man she'd ever loved.

"We have to do something," Vanessa murmured, shutting Rosalyn's door quietly.

Alice threw her a "you don't say" look.

"I've always had a bad feeling about Lady Petal Cowper," Sarah said.

"Do you recall how she'd shamelessly proposed to Ralph?" Alice said, disgusted.

"Ralph," Vanessa said suddenly, her eyes lighting up.

"Yes!" Sarah and Alice whispered, catching on.

They rushed to the sitting room, ready to hatch a plan.

"You'd have to convince Ralph. He won't agree to this unless you coerce him," Sarah said to Alice.

Alice merely nodded, looking pleased.

Meanwhile...

Theo called on the Cowper household.

"I respect Lady Petal, but I'm not marrying her," he said to Baron Cowper.

"What the hell? Of course you'll marry her," her brother shouted.

Theo didn't even flinch. He'd known they won't give up easily.

"You should know by now how devious your mother is," he said to him.

"Shut up," the young man had the gall to say.

"I'll see you tomorrow when dawn breaks. Name your seconds," Theo said casually, pretending to dust off lint from his spotless shirt as if he hadn't just challenged someone to a duel.

The young man's eyes widened, but he relented, trying to safeguard his honour rather than his sister's.