Chapter 15

A few days later.

"I hope Lady Alice is better now," Theo said to Rosalyn.

"She's fine," she replied with a dismissive wave of her hand.

They were seated beneath the tree in their usual spot, chatting away.

Knowing that he loved her changed everything and nothing at once.

Theo was just as comfortable around her as he used to be. He had this urge to kiss her and that wasn't new either. But now he was secure in the knowledge that she was his. Or was going to be very soon.

She leaned forward to pluck some grass and her bosom touched his elbow that had been resting on his knees.

Her reaction was immediate, blood rushed to her cheeks, painting them rosy. Theo's reaction was instant too, although his blood flowed south.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled, embarrassed.

"It's alright," he replied hoarsely.

"What are you smiling about?" She asked after some time, narrowing her eyes.

"I was just thinking about a certain lady," he smiled.

"Oh?"

"Don't you want to know who it is?"

"You'd tell me anyway."

"Yes. Well, it's Lady Petal."

"That nitwit, buxom Lady Petal?" she asked, gaping.

"That isn't a very nice thing to say," he admonished.

"You're funning me, aren't you?" she rolled her eyes.

"Why would I? I'm completely serious," he replied, trying very hard to keep a straight face.

"You've gone mad."

"I'm completely in my senses, I assure you. Besides, what's wrong with Lady Petal?"

"For starters, she's soft in the head."

"I shall concede that while she isn't the brightest..."

Rosalyn scoffed at the understatement.

He continued as if he hadn't heard her, "...of ladies, she still has her charms."

"Her enormous bosom, you mean?" She shot back.

"You're being unnecessarily cruel. You think men are only interested in your bosoms. Also, you belittle Lady Petal."

"That was not my intention. But you know what I'm saying. You're completely unsuited," she shrugged.

He got up suddenly, effecting an angry expression.

"You have no right to decide that. I asked for your help and I thank you for your fruitless contribution. I have finally met the woman of my dreams and I'm not going to let you insult her."

Rosalyn's adorable mouth fell open.

"Will I see you tonight?" she called out as he purposefully strode towards his horse.

"I hope not. But if you're asking whether I'm attending, then yes," he said coldly, turning to look at her one last time.

She looked contrite and just a little hurt. He hated doing this to her. All he wanted to do was to tell her he loved her and then kiss her senseless. But this was important.