Chapter 6

THE CAMDEN BALL– PART 1

"This looks extremely silly, Daniel," Theo said to his valet, not at all satisfied with his cravat.

"This cravat is a piece of art, my lord!" Daniel said, offended.

"But it's too fussy, not my style," he said, tugging at his cravat.

Daniel gasped at the sight of his masterpiece being destroyed so callously.

Theo almost felt sorry for him. Almost. But he couldn't very well attend the ball looking like that. His ruffles and laces along with that cravat made him look like a wild chicken.

"I think I can tie my cravat on my own," Theo said, trying to dismiss him.

"My lord, you never attend the social functions and never give me the chance to display my talents. If I may be so bold, I request you to give me another chance. I'll use a simpler style this time."

"Fine," Theo sighed.

After three more attempts, Theo was somewhat satisfied, his valet was not.

"This is not my best, but it's not so bad," Daniel sighed.

Theo just nodded, eager to be done with this. He had probably taken longer than his mother to get ready today.

He rushed down, only to find the foyer empty.

"Where is the countess?" Theo asked Buttons.

"She should be down in but a few minutes, my lord," he replied.

Lady Fortescue came down after half an hour. Her son seemed irritable, she wondered why.

"Don't you look handsome," she smiled at him.

"You look lovely as ever too," he said as he practically dragged her out of the house.

"You seem nervous," his mother commented once they were in the carriage.

"I'm attending a ball after I don't know how long. And this time, I have a goal to achieve. I must find myself a wife," he sighed, pretending to be into this.

His mother smiled happily. "You'll find her, just you wait."

He almost felt guilty for deceiving her into believing that he was thinking about marrying. But what choice had she left him with? He'd have act like he was dancing attendance on young debutants.

Meanwhile..

"What are you doing?" Sarah shouted at Rosalyn who was still roaming about in her chemise and corset.

"Relax, we don't have to be there for another hour," Vanessa said, fixing her hair for the hundredth time.

"I'm ready," Alice said victoriously.

Rosalyn rolled her eyes. Alice had begun to get ready two hours ago.

After a few minutes, Vanessa and Rosalyn were ready as well.

All of them looked splendid, in Rosalyn's opinion.

"You all look lovely, ladies," Ralph said to them as they descended down the stairs.
But his eyes were only on Alice.

How did she not notice, Rosalyn thought annoyed.

The Camden ball
London

The ladies made a grand entrance at the ball, all necks turned to catch a glimpse of them.