Carly's Hobby

Saturday rolled around and Carly and Sheldon had not seen each other at all. Maybe it was because Carly hadn't gone up to his apartment to see him or the guys the rest of the week or maybe it was because she felt like he was avoiding her. Either way, they had plans that morning and she was beginning to wonder if he would show up at all.

Carly had woken up with mixed feelings: anxiety and excitement. She didn't know if she should get her hopes up but then again she felt that she knew Sheldon enough that he never made a plan he didn't intend to keep. So she started her day as if he would be showing up and dressed in jeans and her Batman shirt he had bought her. She hadn't worn it since he had handed it to her Wednesday night after watching both Batman movies and she figured that it fit that she wore it today. She honestly didn't know if he would like where they were going to go, but she hoped that it didn't cause him too much grief.

She had eaten breakfast already and was checking her watch frequently as the time ticked closer to 9. A knock on her door made her heart jump to her throat and she threw down the Geographic magazine she had been pretending to read to go open it. She flattened her hair that hung loosely around her shoulders and pulled her shirt down to adjust it.

"Hi!" a bright voice that definitely didn't belong to Sheldon spoke, making Carly breath in relief. She hadn't realized how anxious she really was until she saw Penny.

"Hey, Penny, what's up?"

"You thought I was Sheldon, hunh?" Penny asked, biting her lip.

"Yeah but it's okay, come in," Carly said with a smile, opening the door completely and letting the blond in.

"I won't stay long because Sheldon should be arriving soon—Leonard told me," Penny explained when she saw Carly's questioning look. "But I wanted to know what was going on with you two? I haven't seen you since Wednesday? I hope everything went okay."

Carly crossed her arms over her chest uneasily. "Well everything was fine and we were watching Batman together and then he asked me if Stewart had asked me out while at the comic book store. And I said yes he did, and then I asked him why. And then he said that he wanted to warn me about Stewart. And I asked him why. And he said because a girl like me shouldn't go out with a guy like Stewart. And I asked him why again. And he said because he is a theoretical physicist and Stewart owns a comic book store. And then I asked him what if I wanted to be with someone who owns a comic book store, and then he said that a woman like me should be on the arm of someone like him. And then I said that there wasn't someone like him. And he agreed." She took a long deep breath and Penny stared at her amazed at how long Carly could talk without breathing…and how fast she was.

"Wow," Penny said.

"I'm sorry, when I get upset, I ramble," Carly said with a blush.

"No, no, don't worry about it. So do I," Penny waved her off. "But what I meant was, wow. Sheldon kind of admitted to liking you."

Carly widened her eyes and nodded. "Yeah I guess he did."

Penny grinned. "Well that is great! I can't believe I am saying this, but yay for Sheldon."

Carly smiled slightly but then began to worry again. "Well I am not sure if it's a good thing. I think he is avoiding me."

Penny pursed her lips and frowned at her in sympathy. "Don't worry honey. I think he is just confused by what he is feeling. Up until now, I think he didn't even know he could feel anything towards another person. And it's scary to feel that for the first time. I remember I was."

Carly nodded in comprehension. "I am a bit scared as well," she said with a small laugh.

Penny smiled and pulled her into a hug. "Aw sweetie, don't worry about it. Everything will work out like it should. If Sheldon is the right one for you, you will know."