➴ one

estella

As I sat in the day time room, boredom began to creep up on me. It was boring to just sit around in a wheel chair with a blood pressure machine having to follow me around. I had random tubes coming from here and there, attached to my chest and my arm.

"Can you leave me by the window, Nancy?" I asked her, pointing to a nearby window. She politely nodded, rolling me over to the window which held a beautiful sight.

"Thank you. You can go now if you'd like," I suggested.

I couldn't help but feel like a burden to sweet old Nancy. All I did was ask her for things, and sometimes we even had small talks. I took out my journal, thinking of what to write.

I'd always spend my afternoons sitting by the window, writing away whatever my imagination had brought me to.

But today, I didn't feel like writing. I wanted to capture the moment with my own eyes, staring in awe as trees swayed along with the wind, the flowers falling off the branches. I watched how the clouds moved slowly across the sky, making their way from one spot to another.

Cars rushed to get to their destination, and sometimes even sped into the hospital.

I would feel hope wash over me as I saw people come - would they be visiting their loved ones, or perhaps maybe even volunteering?

If they'd be volunteering, it'd make me happy. Even if they wouldn't be assigned to me, it enlightens me as to how they rather spend their time here with us in a pasty hospital, than spending their life outside, living it to the fullest.

A variety of people would come: Americans, Asians, Africans, Hispanics, you'd name it. I enjoyed getting volunteers that were foreign to England. It was the only thing that gave me a bit of the outside world.

I've been stuck here for about two years now, only going out at least twice. The first time I left for a stroll to the park, and second was to buy new clothes I would need in case.

My parents were never able to make it for my fifteenth and sixteenth birthday. At least according to them, they had been busy at work, meetings and such.

Now, I'm seventeen, just wishing to make it eighteen, hoping I'd be able to be on the other side of these walls.

Friends visit here and there but not as much as I wish for them to. Perhaps they noticed that I had been a burden to their lives.

The doctors said I had about three years to live. Three years had passed and now they changed it to five. Yet as time ticked, they came back with new test results, stating I only had six months left.

I remember that day, the feeling of my heart seeping into the pit of my stomach, the beating slowing down, pumping the rest of the blood my body was able to produce.

And volunteers? Haven't seen their faces ever again. I hoped for some glory to happen in my life between these six months but as the clock strikes twelve at night everyday, my hope shortens along with my life.

"Hi, Estella," a sweet little voice chirped. I smiled, turning around to face the eight year old. She was diagnosed with neuroblastoma at the age of five.

"Hey, Maddy. How are you?" I said, smiling at the young girl.

She knew what position she was in, she knew what she had carried, but she was still cheery, giggling here and there, sprinkling her happiness to every single person in the hospital. The nurses loved her, the patients here as well, and including some volunteers who do come back to visit her.

"Good! Do you notice anything new?" She smiled, twirling around.

I looked at her, looking for any changes until I spot it. "Oh my god. You're hair is growing back!" I shrieked, excited for her.