sɪx

Amazon | Six

When they arrived back at the tribe, Rhea watched as the women peaked out of their tents. They cheered as she threw Bastian onto the ground, he grunted and she sent him a sharp look. She had warned him earlier that he was not to speak, so Bastian did not speak. He only watched Rhea walked away from him as two large women grabbed him and dragged him to Rhea's tent. Rhea bowed as Queen Maia came into view, Gaia beside her and Rhea held her breath, she did not want to open her mouth.

"He is suitable," Queen Maia spoke and Rhea lifted her head and rose, "You have done well, was he from the town?"

"No," a voice announced and Xanthe stepped off her horse and Leora followed closely behind, their males were dragged away to their tents. "Rhea infiltrated a war camp about a two days ride from here; she thought that she should have a male who nobody has ever experienced before."

"Maia," Gaia seemed to growl and Rhea felt shameful.

"And did you follow her?" Queen Maia asked.

"Yes but-"

Xanthe was interrupted by Queen Maia, "And you both took a man from that warrior camp also," the Queen rubbed her chin, "I do not see how that makes you any better than Rhea."

"What?" Xanthe cried.

"She took initiative and decided to go out of her way," Queen Maia looked at Rhea, "You did well."

"Thank you," Rhea bowed her head and the Queen laughed.

"We will have a feast tonight!" She threw her hands in the air and the tribe cheered, "Come with me Rhea, I must speak with you." Rhea felt like she was an animal caught by hunters but she followed Queen Maia into her tent. Queen Maia's tent was filled with gold and the finest furs, it was always beautiful. A small toddler—Queen Maia's daughter—sat on some thick furs, a pearl necklace in her mouth as she slobbered all over the pearls. "They were a gift by her father," she explained, "I myself went out of my way to avoid the village closest to us, I found a King and we had a love affair that made his wife angered, she tried to murder me."

"You loved a man?" Rhea cried.

"That is not common knowledge," Queen Maia hissed, "I did and he was killed for loving me and I was given a choice – leave or the child in my womb would be killed. Nobody in this place even thought I had fallen in love; I slipped easily into my job of being Queen. And it was not the ladies here who wanted me dead but if they knew I had fallen in love I would be nothing but weak to them. It was the King's wife, she murdered her husband and then had an assassin sent to kill me in the little villa the King had given me." She smirked slightly, "He was a weak man and I murdered him and then disappeared, I fear she is still looking for me."

"Why would she still be looking for you?" Rhea asked.

"She was a vengeful woman Rhea," Queen Maia smiled, "And technically I have the only heir for his throne." She looked down at her daughter, "Do you know why I am choosing a new Queen so early in my reign?"

"No," Rhea shook her head.

"Because I am leaving," Rhea gaped at the Queen, "I wish to give my daughter a life where she does not grow up hating and fearing men, I also want my son to have a happy life." Rhea froze and the Queen moved toward the back of the tent and brought out a boy who was the same age as her daughter, "It was hard keeping it a secret from everyone but my sister promised me no one would find out."

"Who do you wish to be the new Queen?" Rhea asked.

"I do not wish this role on anyone but I must give it to someone, right?" Queen Maia laughed and shook her head, "I do not want you to have the leadership role, you are not a disappointment, and you are strongest. But I believe you will run away with your man, you will fall in love with him and you will understand my predicament."