тwᴇɴтʏ ғoᴜʀ

Amazon | Twenty Four

She made her way to the waiting men; she smiled tightly and rubbed her hands together. Bastian jumped down from his horse and made his way towards her, his long legs taking up a lot of space as he reached her. Rhea rubbed her hands together as Bastian stopped in front of her, "Have they arrived?"

"By now I hope so," Rhea looked up to the sky and noticed the sun was nearing the middle of the sky, "Should we rest and eat?"

"That would be best," Bastian rubbed the armour over his stomach; he was beginning to grow hungry.

They made their way to a clearing and the men all relaxed. It had been tense with the Amazons; they all seemed to find a way to relax without being on guard. Rhea supposed it was because they were perhaps worried a number of the women would attack them, Rhea only hoped that none of the Amazon women came after them because it would not end prettily.

She sat beside Achilios and laid her hand on the boys shoulder, he lifted his head lightly. He was digging a stick into the ground and stabbing it every now and then. "Do you miss Marcellina?"

"Yes," He rubbed his cheek only to get it smothered in dirt.

Rhea licked her thumb and rubbed his cheek, cleaning away the dirt he had smudged on it. "Do not worry my little warrior," she touched his cheek lightly, "You will see her again."

"How do you know that mother?" Rhea's heart clenched as she leaned back in shock, he had called her mother? "Um Rhea," Achilios amended.

"No," Rhea reached out and held his cheeks as he tried to pull away. "I am your mother Achilios." She leaned away and dropped her hands from his thinning cheeks; he was becoming a little man. "But you will see Marcellina again; I know this to be true."

"How?" Achilios asked her suspiciously.

"We are coming into curious times," Rhea sighed, "I believe the Romans will win this battle with Greece and we will fall under their empire."

"But she is related to the Emperor!" Achilios cried, "If we become farmers how will I ever see my friend?"

"The Gods and Fates love to play with our lives," Rhea looked down at her hands, "They have lived for thousands of years, they have grown bored over time." Rhea couldn't help but smiled, "It is perhaps why my life has been so entwined with Bastian's, why I love him so." She looked at Achilios who was looking up at her with such innocence it made her heart squeeze, "You will see her again; I know this to be true."

"I believe you mother," Achilios through his arms around her shoulders and she hugged him close to her.

Someone cleared their throat, "I'm sorry Rhea, Achilios," a young soldier avoided looking at the both of them. "Commander Bastian needs to see you," Rhea knew that Bastian was not a Commander, perhaps the soldiers wished to call him that. Although, perhaps Elias had promoted him when they had left, it sounded possible. Bastian had all the capabilities and intelligence to handle such a role.

Rhea stood up and Achilios followed, "Wait here Achilios." She kissed the boy's forehead and began to make her way towards Bastian. He was standing with a piece of parchment in his hand; a person was already riding off away from them. She moved toward Bastian and touched his arm delicately, trying to show him the support a wife should show her husband, "What has happened Bastian?"

"My brother..." Bastian frowned, "Deacon has left with a few of his men, and he has given up his rank." He looked down at Rhea and smiled slightly though his smile looked heart, "I have been promoted to Commander."