ɴɪɴᴇ

Amazon | Nine

It was dark and Bastian was staring up at the stars, he chewed slowly on a piece of bread he had been given, it was stiff and stale, it had obviously been left out for a few hours or days – he was unsure. But he had been outside of the tent since Rhea had pushed him out there when she had told him she was getting dressed, Bastian was respectful enough to not demand that she brought him back inside.

But he had unfortunately noticed the sounds of a well pleasured man, he had not noticed it when he had been in the tent, but now it made him uncomfortable. He wanted to beg Rhea to let him back inside but even though Bastian had a soft spot for women – he certainly did not beg! He heard the snap of a twig and he stood up, his bread dropping to the ground as he narrowed his eyes, even though he didn't have a weapon, he could disarm them with his bare hands.

He whipped his head around to spot a woman in a white dress walking towards him, an oracle? Did they have an oracle? "Bastian," she looked at him and Bastian blinked, "I have been searching for you."

"Why?" Bastian asked – it wasn't rude, it was curiosity.

"You are the key to Rhea's happiness," the oracle looked around, "You will father many sons and she will change mankind, she will make men realise how strong women are – and you must help her." The oracle rubbed her hands together, "In return you will have many strong sons and you may be lucky to have a daughter, and I have seen it." Bastian was confused he didn't know what to say, "I must go."

"Who were you talking to?" Rhea asked as she stepped out of her tent, blinking softly as she gazed up at Bastian who was blinking down at the ground.

"No one," Bastian turned to face her slowly; he seemed to be frowning as if he didn't understand something.

"Oh," Rhea spoke and Bastian watched her, would she mother his children? The oracle wasn't very clear but it sure sounded like to him that if he helped Rhea, she would fall in love with him and have his children – that sounded like one of the best deals he had ever heard of. "Well come inside," Bastian strolled forward and stepped into the tent, "Make yourself comfortable, we must rest."

Bastian did make himself comfortable as he settled on the furs, he watched as Rhea turned her back to him in her large tunic that she slept in and he sighed in content. If she was the future mother of his children he could not think of a better wife and mother, she was strong. But it seemed she would also change the dynamics of the world he grew up in and would make the men realise the way they treated women was less than desirable. But that meant Rhea would be in a lot of danger, he'd have to pledge his loyalty to her.

In the morning, Bastian rose slowly and looked around. He wiped his face and pressed his hands together; he bathed quickly and moved out of his tent. Bastian blinked as he watched Rhea. She had her sword tightly in one hand and seemed to be preparing to fight the blonde woman who had been there when he had been taken. Rhea moved forward and the blonde countered her attack. Bastian watched in wonder as the two women fought, he had never seen something so interesting in his entire life. They fought with grace, preparing each other and challenging each other in a way he had never seen.

He was curious as the two women attacked each other, Rhea was breathing heavily as the blonde pushed her away. Bastian then heard a shout and they both turned their heads, Rhea stopped fighting and Bastian watched as a frantic dark haired woman flew into the camp on a horse – like she was riding a Pegasus.

"They come!" She shouted as she held her sword high, "The men have found us!"

"We must attack!" Bastian heard a woman scream and he watched a large woman step up. He then noticed Rhea was looking at something else and he noticed a woman unloading two small children onto the back of a horse and then taking off into the forest. Bastian sucked in a harsh breath; there were children in the camp.