Chapter 19.

Aiden's POV.

“A-are you going to be alright?” I asked, worried about my little, priceless ruby, aka Noel Bellamy. We were at the hospital right now, in some nurse’s office. She was preparing to close his wound with something I interpreted as sewing flesh with some sort of special thread, but it was actually a surgical suture which would stitch my boy’s open wound and make sure it feels better.

“I’ll be better than Angel.” He shrugged, not really showing any kind of an emotion. I suppose he was still in shock …

“I-I … I’m sorry, Noel … I-I’ll make sure I find his family and—“

“Aiden, I’m not blaming you. I’m just saying that, if you were a few minutes earlier, we could’ve saved him, and his brain wouldn’t be scattered on the floor of some goddamn truck container. I’m not blaming you, I am just f***ing saying that MAYBE it would’ve been different.”

I sighed and turned my back, hitting my head against the wall. Noel was usually a very kind fellow, but right now he was upset, so he was saying things he would be regretting later. I knew him well. He was quick to react, and then he would give me the most miserable, apologetic look a person could give, because he would be feeling bad for what he had said.

I just had to stay calm and wait until that happens.

“Its—“

“No, wait. I’m sorry, it’s not your fault. It’s this f***ing b***h Cassie’s fault. You know, that ‘lovely’ maid you had. The one you trusted so much.”

I quickly turned around and looked at Noel with bewilderment, only to calm down when I saw my own anger reflect in his eyes.

“Noel … I understand that you’re angry, and I feel bad and guilty, if that’s what you’re trying to make me feel. You have every right to hurt me, but please, now is … not the time. When we go home, we’ll have enough space and time to cry, to fight, to shout and argue, but right now I need to check on something, and you need to let the nurse stitch up your wound.”

“Yeah, the wound I got because of Cassie. Right, I had forgotten, since it doesn’t hurt at all. Then again, it certainly hurt Angel more when his head was crushed and his eyes literally popped out of his skull. You’re right, sorry.” He bitterly replied and looked away. I watched him closely, because now would probably be the time he would start feeling remorseful.

And he did. A moment after, his cheeks filled with shame and guilt, and his eyes filled with tears. He looked at me, gulped and looked away once more, and that look of his was one of the most regretful ones I’ve ever seen.

I was hurt by his words, and I began believing it was, indeed, my fault for his friend’s death, but that look on his face just didn’t let me blame anyone, including myself.

“I-I’m sorry …” He quietly sobbed and I quickly hugged him, trying not to bother the nurse while she takes care of his wound.

“It’s alright, baby … everything’s going to be alright …” I gently kissed his forehead, realizing how cold it felt. He was blushing, but his skin felt extremely cold.

“I-Is your blood pressure low …? Are you feeling dizzy?” I quickly asked, looking at his lifeless eyes which now sought forgiveness.

“I-I don’t know … I’m sorry … I was just … s-so angry. He was killed in front of my eyes, and I couldn’t do anything to save him … I’m sorry for blaming you, too ..”

“Baby, I told you, it’s fine, don’t worry about that. You … seem pale. Do you want me to bring you some chocolate?”

“ … if it’s Lindt’s.”