Bonus Scene -2-

-Laura's POV-

Oh look, this window actually has a nice ledge underneath of it that I can shimmy out onto.

While my hands trace over the wooden frames that hold the window panes in place, I test the hinges along with the latches. When I hardly tug on the latch, I angrily glower down at the iron bracers locked into place around my wrists, the laced wolfsbane makes it impossible for me to shift...let alone use any enhanced strength to break the bonds to begin with.

Frustration begins to set in once I press a foot against the lower wall under the window and pull as hard as I can on the latch. Well...something broke free and it sure as hell wasn't the latch.

Instead, I am thrown backward and roll onto the marble floor. When I throw my hands out behind me, I catch myself partially, my head hitting the floor only slightly. Sitting up and rubbing the back of my head, I whisper, "Fucking piece of shit lock."

Trying to breathe in a deep breath, I stand to my feet, casting one last glare at the window before heading toward to the attached bathroom. With a sigh, I close the door behind me however, the hinge creaks and the door bounces back an inch. Shaking my head and crossing the bathroom floor, I come to stand before the window. My gaze falls down to the very large drop down below, debating whether or not I'll survive a fall from this height with the iron bracers still around my wrists.

I've been trying, trying desperately to make Walter see and understand that placing into effect any type of laws that put one species above another is entirely wrong. He's apt to listening...

...only when his parasitic, manipulative bastard of a brother isn't around to sway him. I can hardly believe they are related.

Honestly, Walter isn't all that bad...

...but he's weak and a weak mind leads to being manipulated so easily. I watch it happen day in and day out with the two Valentine brothers. It's horrible, because I honestly don't believe Walter would do anything like what he's shown...

Even when he raped me...

I bite down hard on the inside of my cheek and try to clear the memories from that day. It doesn't help though, his room feeling like a thick fog that I couldn't escape from. Even when he spoke to me...it didn't sound like him. I just don't understand the pressure he folds to while he holds the title of the vampire king...it just doesn't make any sense.

Now...

Absentmindedly, I reach out and press down lightly on the latch and with much surprise, it gives without much force. Pulling the windowpane open and inward, I look over the edge, glancing down before moving just a bit closer. Releasing a shaky breath, I move up onto the window ledge with my knees, grasping the sides of the frame, the wind tugging at my hair and pulling it forward onto the breeze. My heart races in my chest, my breathing coming in very short breaths while I stare down at the ground below me.

I kneel frozen for a minute, finally coming to the conclusion that even if I survive...

...that doesn't mean my unborn child will.

A small sigh leaves my lips at the conclusion I'd come to, a slight shake of my head at the foolish decision I'd almost made, potentially costing us both our lives.

When I carefully move around on the edge, I turn inward with one of my arms to grasp the inner wall and gain balance before coming back into the bathroom. I'm not as careful as I think I am, because as I turn, my shirt gets snagged on the rough edge of the frame, tearing it upward. A scream tears from my throat, my heart leaping into my stomach at the forward momentum as I tightly shut my eyelids.