four

ASH WALKED out of math on Friday, feeling happy.

It was Friday, and so far she had no homework, which was a good sign. And it was always a good day when she got to see Richie, so that was a double plus.

"Ashley!"

Ash turned, and saw Spencer coming up to her, a book in his hand. "You forgot your textbook."

"Thanks!" She said, grabbing it from him and putting into her backpack.

"So," Spencer said nonchalantly as she opened her locker. "Break up with your boyfriend yet?"

Ash turned and gave him a strange look. "Uh, no. Why would I do that?"

"I don't know." Spencer shrugged his shoulders. "Keep it open for more options, right?"

Ash squinted her eyes at him. "Look, I'm in love with Richie, and I plan to keep it that way, just so you know."

Spencer laughed. "Wait, wait, you guys are in love?"

Ash folded her arms. "Yeah, we are."

He shook his head. "I don't know if Tozier sees it that way, Ashley."

Her eyebrows drew together. "What do you mean?"

He sighed, and then said, "Ashley, honestly? He's such a flirt. He always hanging around all the girls in the hallway and calling them stuff like 'beautiful'? I don't know if that means anything. . ."

He studied her expression, and Ash felt like a weight had dropped into her chest. He had only ever called her 'beautiful.'

Spencer put a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, I'm sorry about this."

Ash shook her head. "No, no, it's not your fault. I-"

"Beautiful!"

She turned, and saw Richie bounding up to her, slipping his arms around her and saying, "Hey, what're you doing? You don't wanna be late for your next period."

She pulled away, not meeting his eyes. "Um, yeah."

He looked at her confusedly, and then for the first time he noticed Spencer, his face hardening. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Giving her back her textbook." Spencer said, folding his arms. "See you around, Ashley."

He shoved into Richie's shoulder as he passed him, and muttered, "Good luck with your girl, Tozier."

He stalked away, and Richie glared at him as he passed, seeing him pull a pack of Camels out of his pocket and a cigarette, and then turned to Ash, "Are you okay? What did he say to you?"

Ash wouldn't look at him, mumbling, "Nothing."

Richie was feeling a very weird sense of deja vu about the whole "not looking at him" thing, and he reached for her hand.

"Are you sure, gorgeous?"

She sighed, and then said, "Yeah. I'm sure, Rich."

"Hey," He said gently. "Why don't we go to the general store after school and get some cigarettes? I don't know about you, but I'm running low."

Ash finally met his eyes, which were confused and even a little fearful, and she nodded.

"Fine. We'll go get some cigarettes."

He grinned, dropping a light kiss on her head. "That's my girl."

~