twenty

love , save the empty , and save me

-love, save the empty by erin mccarley

I ; flames

i understand those who do not , and i , know love .

yet you , struck a match , and left me to burn .

II ; you disappeared

this is a place where i don't feel alone .

this is a place where i feel at home .

III ; 3 YEARS LATER

I ) the departure

"I TOLD you! I don't want to go see your stupid exchange student get off a stupid plane!" Richie Tozier groaned, splayed across Stan Uris's bed.

"Yeah, th-that makes two of us." Bill Denbrough chimed in, and Stan gave him a look.

"You aren't helping, babe. You know as well as I do he needs to get off his ass and stop moping around."

"You've been saying that for the past three years, Stan." Eddie Kaspbrak called, coming in from the front door of Stan and Bill's apartment, holding a muffin.

"Yes, he's away from his gay friends!" Richie crowed, standing and wrapping his arms tightly around Eddie as he tried to take a bite of his muffin.

Eddie tore off a piece and handed it to him, ignoring the comment but wanting desperatedly to retaliate with a "Beep, beep Richie!"

They hadn't said the phrase since Ash had left their freshman year. In fact, Eddie didn't even think her name had been mentioned since that awful day in October when Richie had told them the news and slunk back into his brooding attitude and locked himself up.

"Come on, Eddie, we're going to the airport to pick up Jacques." Stan said, and shot Eddie a knowing look.

Eddie immediately understood and nudged Richie. "Come on, Rich, Stan's right. You do need to get the hell out of the house."

When Richie didn't answer, Eddie said, "Richie. It's been three-"

"I know how many years it's been, thanks." His best friend snapped, and Eddie shut up as there was a short silence.

"Well, just come. Please." Eddie said, and Richie sighed, turning towards him.

"Fine. But if he turns out to be another gay I'm going back to the car."

Stan rolled his eyes. "Let's go pick up Ben and head on over there. We don't want to be late."

Nope. Eddie thought to himself as they exited the apartment, Stan locking the door tight behind them. No, we do not want to be late.

II ) she's back

ASHLEY BRENNER nervously twisted her hands together, jiggling her legs nervously.