eighteen

i still can't believe that you're right next to me , after all that i've done

-don't deserve you , plumb

RICHIE WAS riding as fast as he possibly could, having left Eddie at the lookout spot just a few moments before

He was usually light headed in situations like these, cracking jokes and the sort, but right now he just felt panic. It was eating away at his insides- pure panic.

He thought this summer was the worst of it. Everything that had happened. . .he thought it was behind them. And now, the love of his entire fucking life was in danger. Her life was at stake, and it was all his fault.

As he neared Mr. Keene's drug store- locked up tight, as he and Greta were probably out of town again- he skidded to a stop next to the wall and leaned his bike up against it.

His sneakers pounded on the sidewalk as he rounded the corner to the store and came to a halt as he saw Ash who, thank God, was alone.

She glanced up, and her mouth dropped open. "Richie!?"

He didn't hesitate. Running towards her, he gently grabbed her arms and said, "Ash. Listen to me. You need to leave."

She pulled her arms away, looking bewildered. "What are you talking about?"

Richie rubbed his face in his hands and said, "Ashley, look, Spencer is on his way here and he's going to hurt you so I need you to leave right now."

Ash glared at him and turned away. "I'm not dealing with this again, Richie."

"No, Ash, listen to me! You need to get out right now before he-"

"So."

Richie's head whipped up, and he immediately reached out and yanked Ash behind him, his face guarded.

Spencer laughed, slowly shaking his head. "You never listen do you, Tozier?"

"No. Unfortunately it's one of my biggest traits." Richie spat. "Now get the hell out before I do something I regret."

Spencer slowly walked towards them, and Ash said, "Spencer, what's going on?"

"What, you mean he hasn't told you yet? I thought the time I spent pounding Kaspbrak would have given him some, but I guess not." His lips twitched as Richie felt his heart stop.

"You touched Eds?" He asked lowly, and Spencer said, "You did this, Tozier. I suppose it was for some pathetic reason like you felt weak for telling your ex-girl you didn't love her anymore. Or maybe it was for you calling her a slut. Or maybe it was because you hit her, and thought, 'God, I really am a piece of actual shi-'"