twelve

ASH WALKED up to the lunch table, setting down her tray and immediately handing her strawberries to Eddie, who popped one into his mouth.

"Hey, Losers. Hey, gay kids." She directed this last sentence at Stan and Bill, who were holding hands underneath the table, with a smirk.

"Beep, beep Ash." Stan said exasperatedly, and she opened her mouth to answer when hands dropped over her eyes and she let out a shriek.

"Seriously? All you do is scream? What if I were a serial killer? Screaming isn't gonna do anything!" The voice of Richie Tozier sounded above her, and he took his hands off her eyes, kissing the top of her head and settling himself beside her.

"Don't do that, dipshit!" Ash said, trying to calm her racing heart.

She yanked up her sleeve to itch her arm, and reached for another fry when Bill asked curiously, "Wuh-what's that?"

He pointed to her arm and she glanced down, noticing a purple splotch near her wrist, and she hurriedly pulled her sleeve back down, looking up at him.

"Nothing. I just hit it on a desk this morning in math." She shot him a nervous smile, and Bill shrugged before going back to his food.

Richie reached over and twisted his fingers around hers, giving them a soft squeeze, and she squeezed back, knowing he understood.

"So, babe." He said, resting his head on her shoulder. "I'm low on cigarettes. And I know you are too. So wanna meet me after school? We could make a date out of it."

She eyed him. "I'm not paying for you again."

"Alright, fine!" He said, putting his hands up defensively. "You don't even have to pay. Just meet me by the bike rack after school, and we can go together."

Ash considered him, and then relented, smiling. "Sure, Rich."

"Yesss!" He whooped, and she rolled her eyes as he slung an arm around her shoulders, pulling her into him.

Richie glanced at Eddie, and said, "Aw, lil Eds, the third wheel. You should date Ben."

Eddie choked on his strawberry. "Thanks, but no thanks. Besides, he's dating Bev long distance."

"Oh, right." Richie said thoughtfully. "Well, you could date me on the side. How's that, Eds?"

Eddie didn't answer, his face going red, and instead said, "Richie, I have told you a billion fucking times! Don't call me Eds!"

"You're such a cutie when you're mad!" Richie said, reaching over and tousling Eddie's hair, who ducked out his reach. "Cutie cute cute!"

"Eat your food, asshole." Eddie grumbled, and Richie grinned as he took a bite of his sandwich and kissed the side of Ash's head.

Later, Richie was heading down the hallway for his last period, when he saw Spencer walking and talking with Ash.

An uneasy feeling crept over him as he watched them; Ash saying bye to him and Spencer waving as she disappeared into her own last class.

Spencer continued down the hallway, and then his eyes landed on Richie.

He sauntered up to him. "Hey."

Richie narrowed his eyes, not answering, and moved to walk past him but Spencer stopped him.

"Woah, woah, woah, what's the hurry?" The teasing tone of his voice made Richie want to punch him, and Richie said, "To class. You'd know that if you used that incredibly small brain of yours."