thirteen

well, here we are. these are lyrics from the song "don't deserve you" by plumb. as stated in the losers club book, this is ash and richie's official song. please listen to it while you read this.

you never give up,

when i'm falling apart,

your arms are always open wide.

and you're quick to forgive,

when i make a mistake,

you love me in the blink of an eye.

i don't deserve your love,

but you give it to me anyway.

can't get enough,

you're everything i need.

and when i walk away,

you take off running and come right after me.

it's what you do,

and i don't deserve you.

ASH FINALLY managed to get away from Spencer. It turned out he only thought he needed help on his math homework, and Ash didn't have much to do.

Now, she was late for meeting Richie.

Slamming her locker shut, she walked quickly down the hallway and out the door, digging in her backpack on the way to the bike rack.

"Hey, babe, sorry I'm late. Spencer needed some help with his stupid math homework." She rolled her eyes, and looked up at him.

She stopped dead, glancing around. Richie wasn't there. And neither was his bike.

"What the hell. . .?" She asked curiously. He had said after school, right?

Ash's forehead creased. Maybe he was just meeting her at his house.

She slowly grabbed her bike from the rack and got on, starting to pedal away from the school and in the direction of Richie's.

When she arrived, she saw his bike discarded in the driveway and breathed a sigh of relief. He was here.

She opened the door, swinging her long red hair out of her eyes. "Rich?"

She cautiously entered the kitchen, the silence eerie, and peered upstairs. "Richie?" She called again, but there was no answer.

Then, she glanced in the direction of the living room, and froze. Empty alcohol cans littered the floor as Ash looked around. Then, she turned to see Richie, sitting on his couch, and she stared as her boyfriend's red and bloodshot eyes met hers.

Her mouth opened slightly, and she managed to stutter, "Rich, did you drink all of this beer?"

He didn't answer, and then ever so slowly, he set the can he was currently holding onto the table in front of him, and looked back up at her.