seven

"I DIDN'T know who else to call, Rich." Eddie said for the billionth time, and Richie rolled his eyes, handing Eddie more ice for the school day.

"I know, Eddie, you've told me a million times. And for the millionth time, I've said it's okay!" Richie said. "Are you going to finally tell me what that asshole punched you for now since I ditched my girlfriend and her parents yesterday?"

Eddie sighed, chewing on his bottom lip, and then said, "Let's go get our bikes and I'll tell you on the way to school."

And so after they had retrieved their bikes from Eddie's driveway and were on the road leading to the school, Eddie began to tell Richie what exactly had happened.

"I was biking home from Stan's," He began. "When I saw Spencer with all his friends by the kissing bridge, you know."

Richie nodded. He knew the kissing bridge all too well for various reasons, most of them involving Ash in some way.

"Yeah well, he saw me coming and started yelling my last name. And of course I didn't answer him because why the hell would I do that? And then the next thing I knew he had grabbed onto my bike and pushed me off of it and had shoved me against the bridge. And I was freaking out and he told me to shut up."

He swallowed, and then continued hurriedly, "Then he started asking about you. About how long you had been dating Ash, if you guys were really serious, how she acted around you. . .and then he asked if I could get Ash to break up with you."

Richie looked at him sharply. "And what did you say?"

Eddie shook his head hard. "I told him to screw off. And then he started pounding my face in and I couldn't breathe Richie. It was terrifying."

Richie swore under his breath. "I'm going to kill him. If he even- if he even goes near her I'll kill him."

Eddie glanced at him sideways. "Richie."

"I know, I know," Richie sighed. "I'm not supposed to say anything. But I'm going to get her to change her math class. She's not being with that freak if I can help it."

"Uh, Rich? Are you sure that's a good-"

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm sure. I'm going to make it sure." Richie growled, and Eddie knew well enough to shut up.

When they finally made it to the school, Richie stowed his bike into the bike rack and gave Eddie a light hug. "Careful today, Eds."

Eddie nodded. "Thanks, Rich. See you at lunch. Also, don't call me that."

Richie reached out and pinched Eddie's cheek. "Aw, such a cutie Eddie Spaghetti!"

Eddie batted his hand away, his face flushing. "Get to class, Tozier."

Richie waved to him and followed the crowd of people leading to Ash's math class, wanting to talk to her about why he had had to leave the dinner so suddenly the night before.

As he reached her locker however, he found his way blocked by someone else; none other than Spencer Allen himself.

Ash was laughing at something he had said, and Richie touched her arm gently. "Hey."

She turned at his touch, and her expression became guarded. "Hey, Rich."

He rubbed the back of his neck and knew he owed her an explanation, opening his mouth to talk to her when Spencer cut in across him.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't the date ditcher."

Richie froze and slowly raised his gaze to Spencer's, his eyes flashing. "Original. Really. How do you think of these names?"

Spencer squinted at him. "I wouldn't be talking. Bailing on your girlfriend while eating dinner with her parents-"

"Hey, shut the hell up." Richie said harshly. "My relationship with her is none of your goddamn business, so stay out of it."

He stepped up to Spencer, only a few centimeters shorter than him, and Spencer raised an eyebrow.

"Is that a threat?"

"Yeah. Problem?"

They glared at each other before Spencer gave him a disgusted look and stepped back, muttering, "You just wait."

Richie folded his arms. "I'll be here."

Spencer turned on his heel and stalked away from the pair of them and into math class, Richie clenching his hands into fists so tight his nails dug into his skin.

"Richie?"

He spun around, almost forgetting that Ash had been there, and didn't give her a chance to finish, jerking his head in the direction Spencer had gone.

"You told him!?"

She looked extremely guilty, twisting her hair around her finger. "He asked why I looked upset, and it just- came out."

Richie was annoyed for a few more minutes before deciding to push it away for the time being; after all, he had left her during dinner with her parents.

"Look, I'm sorry for leaving like that." He said, and she looked up at him. "Eddie was having some trouble and he needed my help."

"What kind of trouble?"

Richie pressed his lips tightly together, and then said, "It wasn't a huge deal, he just needed help. I'm sorry, okay? We can make it up if you want."

She sighed, and then shook her head. "It's not that big of a deal, I was just kind of hurt, that's all."

"I know. It won't happen again. I swear on Eddie's dead grandma."

She laughed, and he grinned, deciding now was as good a time as ever to approach the subject. "So, uh, you and Spencer. You guys are like. . .friends?"

Ash hesitated, and then nodded. "Yeah. He's pretty nice."

Richie inwardly winced, and carefully said, "I don't know. I've heard some stories about him and. . ."

He stopped for a second as Ash looked at him curiously, and then rushed on, "I think you should get your classes changed."

She stared at him. "What? Why!?"

Richie frantically tried to find the right phrases to word this. "I would just feel a lot better if-"

"If I didn't talk to any other boy besides you and the rest of the Losers?" Ash shot. "Because you're jealous?"

"Jealous?" Richie asked. "No! No, no, no I'm not jealous."

Ash rolled her eyes. "Really? Richie, Spencer is a friend. That's it!"

"Okay, great, he's a friend." Richie exclaimed. "Did I also tell you Bill was Stan's friend before they went gay? SEE WHAT HAPPENS?"

"Oh my God!" Ash said loudly, running her fingers through her hair. "You are so impossible sometimes, Richie! God!"

"What, so this is my fault now? I'm just trying to watch out for you!" He said frustratingly, wanting to tell her everything Spencer had done but somehow held his tongue.

"Yeah? Well don't." Ash snapped. "I can look after myself. See you at lunch."

Then, she had turned on her heel and disappeared into math, leaving Richie staring after her, wondering how the hell he was going to get her as far away from Spencer Allen as possible and hating how scared out of his shit this whole situation made him feel.

yay, new update! sorry if it's short, i didn't really have much inspiration for this one. but we are now SIX away from . . .that one. god, it makes me want to-

shutting up now, shutting up!! please vote and comment on this for me, i'll see you next update!