2

I decided to move to a couch this morning. I don't exactly know why. Maybe it was my way of a silent goodbye.

I've decided to leave the facility, but I've also decided I'm not going to tell anyone, hence the silent goodbye. I want to be able to spend time with them today so I'll remember them better tomorrow. I'm just hoping I'll be able to remember them while they're happy. I want to try and rid my memory of all of Steve's worried looks, and Nat's pity. I don't want to remember Tony treating me as if I'll break if he speaks too loudly in the same room as me. The only thing I see of Wanda is the random memories that show up sometimes. Clint was the only one who didn't change the way he acted around me, but he didn't even stay for very long. He had a family to go home to. He offered me his home, a place to lay low and heal for awhile, but I said no. I didn't want to intrude.

So, here I am, sitting on the couch for the first time since I got here, with a bowl of untouched popcorn sitting in front of me.

Tony shows up in the doorway, out of breath and confused.

"Is everything okay? I just got here from the city and Friday told me you were in here and I don't remember the last time you were out of your room."

"I'm fine." I look down at the bowl in front of me before holding it out to him, like a peace offering. "Popcorn?"

"Are you sure you're okay?" He gently takes a seat next to me on the couch.

"Yeah. I'm feeling better."

"Well the popcorn is untouched." He points to the bowl as he sits next to me on the couch, taking a handful. "I'm assuming that means your appetite isn't back."

"I've been eating."

"You've been drinking smoothies that Natasha is basically forcing you to drink."

"It's something." I smile. Not a real one, just one that might help Tony feel better. But sometimes it's hard to fake happiness to someone who's been doing it most of his life.

"No one is expecting you to feel better right away, Riley. We just want you safe and healthy." I nod my head.

"I know." We look at each other for a minute as my face goes serious. "I just wanted to thank you for everything, Tony. You've done so much for me and I don't think I'd be alive if you guys hadn't taken me in when you did."

"Duly noted." We sit in silence for a few seconds as I try to think of anything to say.

"I like to take walks." I abruptly state, but I already know where I'm going with it.

"Okay." Tony's voice trails off at the end, waiting for me to continue.

"Steve always has the alarms activated, and he won't give me the security codes. I'm only able to go outside if one of you guys are with me and it always just seems like a huge inconvenience to ask,"

"No need to go on." He holds his hand up to stop me from talking more. "Got a pen?" I glance around before handing him one that was sitting on the coffee table in front of us. I watch as he rips a page out of a magazine and begins writing. "These codes are specific to you, so we'll still know when it's you leaving and coming back, but that's something we do for everyone." I nod my head as he hands the paper over.

"Thank you, Tony."

"There's no need to keep saying that." He waves his hands in front of me before standing up off the couch. "I've got some work to do but how about we watch some super cheesy reality TV next time I'm around?"

"That sounds amazing." I smile up at him as he walks out of the room, but it falls as soon as he turns away.

I wish I didn't have to leave everyone, especially not like this, but I no longer have any other choice.