17

"Bird costume?" My head turns from the screen showing Bucky in his little pod towards Sam, who was just handed the receipt for all our gear

"Bird costume?" My head turns from the screen showing Bucky in his little pod towards Sam, who was just handed the receipt for all our gear. "C'mon."

"I didn't write it." Sharon shrugs her shoulders before pressing a button on the table, enabling the audio from Bucky's cell to come in through our room. Steve turns and sends her a quick nod as a thank you.

"I'm not here to judge you. I just want to ask you a few questions." I look back towards the screen as I hear the doctor talking to Bucky. "Do you know where you are, James? I can't help you if you don't talk to me, James."

"My name is Bucky." I sneak a glance at Steve as he says it, almost expecting a reaction. I should know at this point that Steve usually keeps his emotions bubbled up. Even if he is glad that Bucky is using his old nickname again, Steve isn't going to show it in this room filled with windows where anyone could see him. I watch him as instead, he picks up the file sitting on the table, analyzing the blurry picture that everyone assumes is Bucky.

"Why would the task force release this photo to begin with?"

"Get the word out, involve as many eyes as we can?" Sharon shrugs her shoulders slightly as she answers with slight uncertainty.

"Right. It's a good way to flush a guy out of hiding. Set off a bomb, get your picture taken. Get seven billion people looking for the Winter Soldier." I immediately catch on to what Steve is saying, and we're finally getting a story that other people may believe.

"You're saying someone framed him to find him," Sharon says.

"Steve," Sam looks up from his spot at the table. "We looked for the guy for two years and found nothing."

"We didn't bomb the UN," Sam's eyebrows raise in agreement. "Turns a lot of heads."

"Yeah, but that doesn't guarantee that whoever framed him would get him. It guarantees that we would." Sharon's gaze moves towards the screen in the corner of the room and her eyes narrow slightly. Steve and I both follow her gaze and I stare up at the 'doctor' sitting at the desk in Bucky's room.

"Yeah." We all watch the screen for a minute, listening in as the doctor speaks in a thick accent.

"Tell me, Bucky. You've seen a great deal, haven't you?"

"I don't want to talk about it." Bucky's voice sounds flat as he speaks.

"You fear that... if you open your mouth, the horrors might never stop. Don't worry." I watch the doctor's head move down slightly towards his tablet, his hand moving forward to press a button. "We only have to talk about one."

Suddenly, all the power goes out. The audio goes silent and the screens all go black. The lights turn off and red emergency lights begin flashing in the large room. Steve turns towards Sharon and I notice the slightly worried look she wears on her face.

"Sub-level five, east wing." Without hesitation, Steve, Sam, and I bolt out of the room and through the large building. I have no clue where I'm going, so instead I just follow behind Steve. We run through hallways and down staircases, not willing to wait for any elevators, and I can't help but be thankful that I had stayed in shape during my hiatus.

By the time we make it down to where Bucky was being held, there's no one left. All the guards are laying on the ground. Steve kneels down to check one's pulse, but I'm almost too scared to know if their dead or alive.

"Help me." My head snaps up to see the doctor laying on the ground, clutching his side. "Help." Why the hell would he be the only one still conscious? He was the weakest one down here, and he was the only one in the room with Bucky. The three of us don't believe his little game for even a second.

"Get up." Steve marches up to the man on the ground and grabs him by his jacket, lifting him up and pressing him against the wall. "Who are you? What do you want?"

"To see and empire fall." My head snaps behind me as I hear Bucky's arm slam against the wall, Sam barely able to move out of the way in time. Sam puts up a fight but quickly gets thrown against the cell Bucky had been held in.

I take a step forward, bringing my arms up to block the bunch Bucky was sending my way. I had trained with Bucky for weeks, I knew the way he fought, but that doesn't get rid of the fact that he's stronger and much more trained than I am. I block every punch Bucky sends my way, almost being able to predict the combinations he was doing. I find an opening and send a kick up to Bucky's ribs, but he quickly grabs my ankle before it can completely go back to the ground. My eyes widen as I lose my balance and he sends me into the wall right next to the doorway.

Steve finally drops the man disguised as the doctor and fights Bucky himself. The two quickly make their way out into the hallway and I pull myself into a kneeling position with my hands on the ground. I let out a few coughs as the air flows back into my lungs. I catch my breath and my hand goes to my back, which had hit the wall pretty hard. I stand up and stretch it before making my way to where Sam is still laying.

I slap his cheek slightly, not seeing any serious damage around his body. I sigh in relief as his eyes begin to open.

"The doctor." I fly up from my seated position and turn towards the hallway to see the man looking down the elevator shaft. "Hey." Sam speaks up again and I go running down the hallway.

I follow behind him as he turns right down they hallway and hear Sam quickly get up behind me. The two of us follow him down the hallway and into a stairwell. I run up the stairs with Sam on my heel, attempting to keep an eye on the man who framed Bucky.

"Oh for fuck's sake." I swear as we make our way up more and more stairs. I hear a door slam on the floor above us and the two of us speed up slightly. I slam the door open only to find the crowded ground floor lobby. Sam and I join the crowd as everyone attempts to escape the building. I'm sure word that the Winter Soldier was on the loose and attacking people had gotten out at this point.

I push past more and more people before finally getting outside. It's even more crowded out here than it was in the lobby, and it quickly becomes difficult to spot a single man with no defining characteristics from the back.

We both stop for a brief second as we pass the security booths, and I quickly spot a jacket sitting on the ground. Sam takes a few steps forwards and picks it up, quickly looking around to see if he could find the man who dropped it.

"Damn it." I run a hand through my messy hair as I nod in agreement. The man had somehow escaped us and I was not very happy about it. I should've gone after him sooner.

>.<

A/N

Ugh guys I'm in such a pissy mood today over a super tiny thing and it's slightly ridiculous but I was out late last night cause it was my birthday (woot woot) and then had to cover for someone at work all day today and I have to work all day again tomorrow and I don't want to :'(

Question of the week:

Have you seen Ant-Man and the Wasp? If so, what'd you think of it? (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

I really wanted to see it opening day cause that's when I like to see marvel movies but also cause this one was on my birthday and so it was special but I ended up not being able to so that kinda sucked. I'm not seeing it until Monday now, but I'm super excited.

I hope everyone has a great week!