15

I watch Nat as she steps out of the cathedral, Steve right on her tail

I watch Nat as she steps out of the cathedral, Steve right on her tail. Sam and I both stand from our spots and I slip my feet back into the heels that I had taken off and smooth out the back of my black dress. She looks towards me as the door closes behind them.

"Don't let them do anything reckless while I'm gone." A small smile forms on Steve's lips as he slightly shakes his head. "And if you can't stop them, at least don't join them." I nod my head in Nat's direction and turn to face Sam.

"Hear that?" I smirk. "I'm in charge." Sam rolls his eyes as he sarcastically nods his head, agreeing to my leadership. Nat laughs slightly before waving goodbye before walking down the street. The three of us watch her as she goes. Standing there in complete silence, I wonder if this is what it is going to be like from now on. Half the team going off to do their jobs, and the other half either illegally doing their jobs, or just not doing anything.

I turn towards Steve, opening my mouth to say something, to ask about what happens next, but I chose not to as I see the blonde from earlier walking up behind him. Steve notices where my eyes are focused and turns his head before fully turning to face Sharon.

"We should give those two their space." Sam says from beside me. I roll my eyes as he smirks at the two before we turn and walk down the street, Steve and Sharon following a little ways behind us.

"I just can't see it," I claim, sneaking a glance back at the two of them.

"What do you mean you 'can't see it?' It's right in front of you." I shrug my shoulders.

"Doesn't mean I have to agree with it." Sam goes to argue once more when I yank his arm backwards. I point down to the sidewalk where his foot had almost landed moments before where a baby bird was sitting.

"Don't kill yourself." I laugh at my own joke as I help the bird get into the grass so no one steps on it.

"I'm the Falcon, not some baby bird who can't even fly yet." I continue laughing at my own joke, ignoring his attempt of defending himself.

"That was a good one. I'm really funny." I continue laughing as Sam rolls his eyes and crosses his arms. I dramatically pat myself on the back as Sam ignores me.

The two of us remain walking quietly as my laugh dies down before my smile fades away as well.

"I wanted to apologize to you, Sam." My tone becomes more serious as I think back to the night that I left the facility.

"For that stupid bird joke? You better apologize."

"I'm not going to apologize for my witty sense of humor." A smile forms on my face for a second before disappearing again. "But I do want to apologize for the night that I left." He looks down at me now, realizing that I was serious. "I saw you in the lab and I lied right to your face. I wanted to apologize for lying to you like that and also for any guilt or anything that I may have caused."