23 - epilogue

"And now Rhodey won't stop calling me Stank

"And now Rhodey won't stop calling me Stank." Tony groans as he rubs his forehead. "Anyway, this is for you." He hands me a folded up piece of paper with my name written on top in familiar handwriting. "I promise I didn't read it. Rhodey wouldn't let me."

"Well tell him thank you for me." Tony rolls his eyes as he begins to walk out of my room.

"Curiosity isn't a bad thing, Riley."

"Neither is privacy." Tony closes the door behind him as he leaves the room and my thumb glides over the neat writing on the paper before unfolding it.

Riley,

I know this may not be the choice you would have made if you were given one, but I hope we can agree that this is the safest for you. I'm glad you're back at the compound with Tony. He needs you and I know he will keep you safe. You don't deserve a life on the run.

I know I just wrote of safety and staying where you are, but I do want to give you one choice. Bucky is going back under cryo. It was his decision, no one else's. He was hoping to see you one more time before going under, so if you would like to say goodbye, I'll be in the forest outside the compound at midnight tonight. It will be a short trip, 24 hours at the most before I return you to the compound.

Don't freak Tony out.
Steve

The letter remains in my hand as I go walking out to where Tony and Rhodes are, both of them looking up as I enter the room.

"Tony, can I talk to you?" Tony nods his head, leaving Rhodes to support himself with the bars while using his, hopefully, temporary braces. Tony and I make it out the doorway before Tony speaks.

"You're leaving." His face shows no expression as he looks at me.

"Not for a long time, I promise. Only a few days."

"You're supposed to be under house arrest, you know? That's how I actually managed to get you out." He runs his hands through his hair.

"I know, but they aren't coming with the ankle bracelet until next week."

"If you get caught-" I put my hand up to interrupt him.

"I won't. You know why?" He raises an eyebrow instead of answering. "Because I have you looking after me." I poke him but he still keeps his stubborn emotionless face. "I'll be safe. I just have to do something, and then I'll be right back here with you so we can help Rhodey."

"It doesn't matter if I give you permission does it?" I shake my head and he nods knowingly.

"You have two days. Then I send out a search party." I nod my head before pulling him into a hug.