18

I can feel the cold ground through my jeans as I sit on the floor of the abandoned factory we found to hide out in

I can feel the cold ground through my jeans as I sit on the floor of the abandoned factory we found to hide out in. My eyes are down as I pick at the cuticles of my nails. My own heart beat fills the silence of the room as I wait here for Bucky to wake up. Steve has been checking the perimeter every five minutes since we arrived.

"Hey," Sam's voice causes my eyes to move up and see Bucky's moving figure. "Cap!" Steve and Sam both quickly move into the room through the two archways. I remain sat on the floor between the two of them, feeling no need to put my guard up around Bucky despite what he had just done hours earlier.

"Steve." Bucky's voice is low and quiet as he attempts to sit up but isn't able to with his arm trapped in the vice.

"Which Bucky am I talking to?" Steve remains serious as he looks down at his childhood friend.

"Your mom's name was Sarah." Bucky pauses for a moment, as if he is trying to remember something. "You used to wear newspapers in your shoes." A smile forms on his face as he makes fun of Steve's old habits.

"Can't read that in a museum." I don't look up at Steve, but I can tell he already feels more relaxed and relieved that his friend is here with him.

"Just like that, we're supposed to be cool?" Sam remains unconvinced as he stands beside me.

"What did I do?" Bucky's face becomes serious once more, causing Steve to do the same.

"Enough." Bucky groans, disappointed in himself despite the fact he had no control.

"Oh, God, I knew this would happen." His head moves towards the ground. "Everything HYDRA put inside me is still there. All he had to do was say the goddamn words."

"Who was he?" Steve immediately goes for answers.

"I don't know."

"People are dead. The bombing, the setup, the doctor did all that to get ten minutes with you. I need you to do better than 'I don't know.'" Bucky pauses for a moment to think.

"He wanted to know about Siberia. Where I was kept. He wanted to know exactly where."

"Why would he need to know that?"

"Because I'm not the only Winter Soldier." Bucky begins telling a story, one that I can immediately tell he isn't proud of. It wasn't like any of the stories he told me in Bucharest. His eyes were dark as he spoke, his voice deep and almost emotionless. He tells us about how he was sent to kill the Starks in order to get the serum and about how strong the other soldiers had become. As he speaks, Steve moves forward to release Bucky's arm.

"Who were they?" Steve moves so his back is resting against the wall I'm sitting against.

"Their most elite death squad. More kills than anyone in HYDRA history, and that was before the serum."