12

I walk out of the airport with my backpack hanging off my shoulders and a suitcase rolling behind me. I look around at my surroundings, at all of the stalls that have been set up by the locals. I can feel the note from Bucky in my back pocket.

"Don't open it until you land."

"Why not?"

"It's just some important information that you shouldn't worry about until you're in Lagos."

"And you'll be there soon after me?" He nods at my question.

"I'll see you tomorrow." Bucky pulls me into a hug and I hold on tight.

"Don't worry, Barnes," I state, a smirk forming on my lips. "You can survive without me for 24 hours."

I pull the note out of my pocket as I begin walking down the street and stare down at Bucky's messy handwriting.

Steve and Natasha will be there soon. You should find them. You're ready.

I stop in my tracks. Bucky isn't getting on the next flight here. He sent me here because somehow, he knew this is where the team was going next. He sent me here so they could find me, or so I could find them. I follow an arrow that's drawn at the bottom of the page and flip the paper over.

P.S. I snuck your favorite sweatshirt into your backpack. Don't completely ruin it, Punk.

I can't help but smile down at the handwriting I've become so accustomed to reading and I take a deep breath before folding the paper and placing it back in my pocket. I don't know how the hell Bucky expects me to find the team in a city this large.

As if on cue, I spot Natasha's red hair as she goes running after a man through the stalls. I stick to the shadows as I follow behind her and watch as Sam joins Nat. I hear more commotion on the other side of the square and run over to where it is coming from.

I see Rumlow first. A man I had never met but have heard much about. He was almost unrecognizable with burns across the majority of his face. And then my eyes land on Steve's face. He looks concerned as he freezes and looks down at Rumlow. I only watch as Wanda contains an explosion created by the man on his knees and throws him into a nearby building. Everyone only watches in shock, including me.

I hear Steve give orders for fire and rescue, and then I step in front of him. I can't help it anymore.

"Riley." My eyes well up with tears as Steve pulls me into a hug.

"I'm so sorry." I speak into his shoulder. I'm not even sure if he can understand me.

"I've missed you so much." He pushes me away, keeping his hands on my shoulders, and looks at me. "We all have."

"I'm so sorry. I only left a note and just disappeared for months and I didn't call..."

"It's okay. You're here now, and you're okay. That's all that matters." Steve pulls me into another hug as a let out a sob into his shoulder. I hear him say something to Wanda behind me, giving some kind of orders, but I just remain in his arms, holding on tight to his torso as if he might be the one to disappear next.

"The quinjet-" I hear Nat's voice this time as she jogs up to Steve and me, her voice catching in her throat as she catches sight of me in Steve's arms. "Riley."

I pull away from Steve as Nat envelopes me in yet another welcoming hug. She pulls away after a second and I move on to Sam, who showed up next to her.

"Well you sure know when to make an entrance," he jokes as I pull away from him. "Do I have to handcuff you to Steve to make sure you come back with us?" Sam raises his eyebrows accusingly and I shake my head, wiping the tears that are still rolling down my cheeks.