10

"You can hit harder than that." Bucky makes fun of me as I go for a punch to his jaw.

"You and Steve both don't seem to understand the fact that I'm not exactly comfortable with punching my friends." I drop my arms to my side, tilting my head slightly as I speak.

"You can't get better if you aren't willing to fully try during training." His arms move back up into a defensive position and I mirror his actions. "We've been training for two weeks and you're still afraid of hurting me." He sends a jab towards my face with his right hand and my forearm instinctively goes up to block it. "You're not going to hurt me, Medela. I can promise you that."

His left arm comes up this time towards my face and this time I take a step back, getting ready to play defense. He sends punch after punch towards my face and gut and I continue to block each of them, watching and waiting for him to make a mistake. As he sends his right fist towards my jaw, I stick out my left arm to block it and instantly send my right fist towards his gut. He moves his left arm to block it and my left fist gets him right in the jaw.

My movements were quick and instinctual, as Bucky was trying to get them to be. My smaller frame made it easier for me to move faster and slip through any cracks in his stance that others may not be able to get through, but my quick movements didn't make me any stronger. My punch barely made him flinch.

"Please tell me that wasn't as hard as you can hit me." My arms go back down to my sides again as I glare at him.

"I'm sorry I wasn't injected with all the steroids that you were. My strength is natural and I'm perfectly aware that I'm not very strong." My hands go to my hips as Bucky's lips curve into a smile. "This isn't funny, Barnes." His smile grows wider as I get more annoyed. "We've been training for a week and all I hear is that I'm not strong enough. Maybe you're just too strong." I turn my back to him and march over to the bench where both of our waters are sitting and waiting for us.

We had found a gym down the street from our apartment that we've started visiting almost everyday. Bucky told me he would help me control my powers, but he also wanted to make sure I could fight and defend myself, and getting my combat skills back has been a little easier than controlling something I barely understand.

"Come work with the punching bag. That way you'll actually get stronger." Bucky watches as I take a swig of water before placing the bottle back on the bench.

"What time is it?" I ask as I trudge back over to him.

"Not time to go home." I send another glare in his direction before setting myself up in front of the black punching bag.

I send a combination of punches and kicks towards the punching bag before I stop and watch it swing back and forth. I glance at Bucky expectantly, as if that one quick set was enough to make a difference.

"We also need to work on surprise." Bucky states next to me.

"Surprise? What do you mean by-" I'm cut off as Bucky's fist connects with my jaw. It wasn't nearly his full strength, but it was enough to sting. My hands go up to cradle the left side of my face as I turn towards Bucky.

"You are such a little-" I cut myself off this time as I bring my foot up towards his ribs. He effortlessly grabs onto my ankle and I use the support from his arm to bring my other foot up to his face, twisting my captured foot out of his grasp and landing back on the ground.

With little hesitation, Bucky sets up for another attack. He goes harder than usual this time as he exploits my weaknesses. He takes multiple steps towards me before my back hits the cement wall. I desperately go for a punch but he grabs onto my arm and somehow manages to swing me up onto his shoulder.