one

Serena

I sat at my kitchen table while Cairo made me a hot chocolate.
"you know that I can make it myself right?"
"yeah, I know but...I don't know. I guess it feels right to be able to help"
"I can imagine"

Lord Cairo, do not be displeased with what you have done Nike said

"you know, I don't think I'll ever get used to telepathy"
"I know right?" Cairo laughed "and I'm not."
"what's wrong then?" I asked. He smiled
"nothing"
"you're lying" I laughed a little "Spirit element remember? I can feel something bothering you"
"it's Darrien, he...he's been acting strange and he's been having loads of nightmares. I'm worried about him" I smiled at him, he'd grown up so much in the last year.

"Nightmares huh?"
"yeah, not something you expect to hear about from a 16-year-old right?"
"true but stereotypes are dumb and I still have nightmares as well"
"I think he feels guilty...about what he did to you" my hand gently touched my neck. Sometimes it still hurt and there was a dull scar there as a reminder of the burn I received...his touch was vicious.

Sometimes I still couldn't breathe when I thought about the heat coming off his skin and the tight grip he had on my throat...
"He seems different of late... like a different person almost...probably just me. I want to talk to him. Do you know where he is?"
"easy, stone circle. That's where he spends most of his time now"
I smiled. It really was a great place to go when you need to relax.

I grabbed my purple scarf off the chair and carefully wrapped it around my neck. Then I made my way there and found him sitting on the steps. But he was sketching.
"so, you're really into art huh?"
"always have been just never had the time"
"what are you sketching?"
"that pillar. Air. Doesn't it look like a little girl?"
"you're right" I had a close look at it "that's a little strange I guess but it's always looked like that" Darrien looked up seriously
"I get the feeling there's more to this than meets the eye"

I glanced at it again and wondered if maybe, Darrien had a point.
"Serena! Darrien!" Cairo called
"oh, come on. Hot chocolate is ready"
"hot chocolate well I guess that works on a cold day. I'll just finish this" he smiled. I sat there watching him draw for a while until Cairo got annoyed and came out.
"Guys, it's going to be cold chocolate if you don't hurry up!"
"Sorry Cairo" I replied. We stood up and walked inside slowly sipping our drinks. Darrien was unusually quiet.

"hey? You okay?" I asked
"I'm fine." I wanted to say he was lying but I couldn't be sure, for some reason I had no idea what he was feeling.
"are you sure?" I asked
"really Serena" he smiled half-heartedly "I'm fine" he looked over to Cairo who shook his head.

Mistress? Nike said I have a message from Cameryn.

"oh?" Cairo smiled and collected our empty mugs "what about?"

The situation in Taro is getting much worse. It appears the sinkholes are getting larger and the villagers are beginning to, in her words, 'freak out'.

"What do you think Serena?" Darrien asked "should we go?" I nodded
"she wants us over there. I'll go get Cairo" Darrien stood up and grabbed my arm.
"no"
"we're just visiting her. It's not like we'll suddenly go on some epic quest as soon as we leave the house"
"Serena, knowing our luck no matter what it will turn into an adventure and I for one do not want Cairo involved. He is only 10-years old. I don't want him getting caught up in it and have something bad happen to him. I need to keep him safe Serena"

I nodded. If Darrien is that determined than there is no point in trying to persuade him otherwise.
"okay. I promise, we'll leave Cairo here...but...you're the one who'll have to explain to him"
"easy. I'll meet you and Nike outside" I watched him walk over to Cairo and listened.