Nineteen

Cairo

It was pretty early in the morning but I could hear voices outside.

"I don't think she's been released" Cameryn said.

"Well that's good, at the least the forest did its job well huh?" Darrien joked "we should be safe to go in right?"

"I don't understand why you were worried though Cameryn, I mean doesn't the house of hope lock out anyone evil? If someone wanted to release her then they probably would be"

"True but it's not stupid to check, on that note what about Cairo?"

"Hm? What is it?" Ani asked, I peeked a bit more.

They were all talking very seriously.

"We can't take him in" Cameryn added.

"But he's only a year younger than I am"

"He's also been raised in a different time Ani, you're basically the equivalent of a 16-year-old in your time"

"Perhaps but still Cairo is more than capable of defending himself, he would not be any danger with Darrien and you around anyway right?"

Darrien stared at Cameryn with a bit of a defiant expression.
"I don't know..." Cameryn mumbled "we shouldn't..."

"I can go!" I cried, running up to them.

"We just want to make sure you're safe Cairo" Serena explained. I shook my head, glaring at them.

"Come on! You're always treating me like I have no idea what's going on! I'm not a little kid anymore! I know how to protect myself!"

"Cairo, we can't risk­-" Cameryn started only for Darrien to cut her off.

"As much as I don't want anything to happen to him, we need to have a little bit of faith here, if he thinks he can handle himself, who are we to stop him?"

"Darrien, are you nuts?!"

"No, I'm the one thinking clearly. Cairo is able to handle himself and as Ani said, if he is in danger" I spotted a very threatening look in my brother's eyes. I backed away a little "I can protect him. We both know it"

"Darrien...clearly you're back to being in that mood again, knew it wouldn't last"

"What was that...?"

"You heard me. Your attitude is getting annoying" Darrien stood up, facing Cameryn head on.

"Maybe I'm just sick of how you act towards me!"

I blinked and looked between the two.
"Cameryn...Darrien...I thought you settled everything?" I asked "You'd been talking last night right?"

Cameryn turned around a little.

"Let's face it, we all knew it wouldn't last"

Serena frowned at stepped between the two.
"Alright, both of you stop it!" she cried, silencing everyone. "Darrien, go over there and cool down! I mean that literally! Cameryn, you and I need to talk"

I walked over to Darrien as Serena and Cameryn spoke.
"Big brother?"

He didn't seem to hear me so I got a bit closer.
"Hey...big brother...I know t-that you're angry right now...but­-"

"What?" he asked, he laughed a little and stood up "You know that I'm angry?" he turned facing me. He had a really scary expression on his face.

"D-Darrien...I"

"You? A naïve little child? You know how angry I am? Angry doesn't even begin to described what is going through my head right now, what my heart is burning for"