Nine

Darrien

It was dark out. We were all in our tents supposed to be sleeping but I couldn't...or rather I had, but now...I was wide-awake.

I'd had a nightmare.
Every time I closed my eyes, I could see it...
The fire surrounding me...engulfing me...drowning me in its evil embrace.
Every time I closed my eyes, I could hear it...
Whispering to me...taunting me...torturing me.
And every time I close my eyes, I could feel myself...
Slipping...falling...fading away as its consciousness overcame my own.

I knew that it was what I had done that brought up this nightmare. I killed someone today...I'm afraid. Afraid of how much I was changing...
Maybe what Joeri said was right...
Maybe I was turning evil.

Darrien? What are you doing up dude?

N-Nothing Rollo I'm fine

Whatcha worried about?

Nothing Rollo.

Dude don't leave me in the dark.

Funny but it's night so you are in the dark.

Haha, nice one. I thought you said my jokes were bad.

They are. It just seems I'm no better. Look bud, I just need some fresh air. I'll be back in a minute.

I stepped out and sat under the stars.
"Jeez Darrien, why'd you have to go so far?" I said to myself "You're an idiot to let the curse affect you so much" I looked up sighing.
What was happening to me? I can't understand why I enjoyed it so much...why I craved that kind of destruction...mayhem...

I wanted it so badly. I wanted to hunt every one of those humans down and murder them all...It was a feeling that just burned through every ounce of my being...But on the other hand, my heart was telling me no. Begging me to remain strong...or maybe it was Serena that was...

If there was some way to avoid feeling that I'd love to know but...I don't think I can, I'm afraid that it's overwhelming me...rotting my soul from the inside out...I could feel tears at my eyes and I covered my face with my hands.
"Why am I being so cruel?! To Cameryn, to Joeri and to Serena!! What the heck is going on with me?!" I cried. Not too loudly but I could say it was more loud whispering.
"What's wrong with me?"

"Nothing at all Darrien, you are perfectly fine."

I looked around.
"W-What?!" for some reason it felt like I was being watched I looked up and on the tree above me was some sort of...pixie? She jumped down.
"W-What? Who are you?!!"

"Did my form surprise you? This is the best way to keep an eye on you after all"

"An eye on me? What?! How long have you been watching me?!"
"I'm not too sure. Time isn't exactly an easy concept for deities unless you're Yukan am I right?" my eyes widened. A deity? Was she serious?
"H-huh?"
"You seem startled, here. Maybe you'll find this form more comfortable" a red glow surrounded her till in her place was the form of a girl about my age. Curly red locks and amber eyes that had some sinister tone to them. I stared unable to comprehend this...
"Seigi" the name was out of my mouth before I could stop to consider it.
"Oh! Good job! You know my name...well my old name. The names of the deities can change you know?"
"Seigi...how did I..."
"It's complicated. But my name now is Fukushu"
"Vengeance...Justice...then vengeance"
"Clever!" she leaned down in front of me and I leaned back.
"What do you want?! It's your fault I have this!"
"No. I don't control who gets it. The curse is an entity of its own. It has its own free will. If I had control I wouldn't have chosen a water element"
"...leave me alone"
"Stressed? Well I can only imagine. After all you just killed a man, even if he was lower than scum"
"Shut up" Fukushu leaned down and lifted my chin up.
"Why fight?" she asked. In my opinion, it was kind of a dumb question.
"You serious? I want to be free!"
"But you are" she laughed at my confused expression then pointed to my chest "You are free Darrien, your power proves it" I grasped my chest remembering the strange change I had sensed.
"W-What are you talking about?!"
"You're lucky. Those who get to stage 4 actually can be free...when you fought for control that day in Zei you pushed the curse right back to the deepest edges of your soul. Doing so is what sends the curse to its highest stage" her eyes narrowed as a sinister smirk crossed her lips.