Alfie

Christmas. Christmas was coming. A holiday I had always hated when I was younger. Since my parents had split when I was fairly young, the day was spent shifting between the two parents and basically a lot of fighting about where I was supposed to be. 

Once I had become an adult, I actually realised that Christmas can just be something fun, not stressful. I was so excited to spend this relaxing Christmas with Zoe. Our first Christmas together. It was going to be special for two reasons. 

One, Zoe was staying in San Francisco for two weeks instead of one, and I was going to ask her to marry me. Not on Christmas of course, that would be cliche, but probably sometime before or after, I wanted it to be the perfect moment. 

A few weeks ago when Zoe had been in Los Angeles I went and bought the ring and had been carrying it around with me wherever I went. I never knew when I perfect moment would come up, I wanted it to be perfect, it had to be perfect. 

When I woke up the morning that Zoe was coming back from Los Angeles for her two weeks off, I couldn't help but smile. Today was the day I got to see Zoe, those days were always the best ones. I got dressed and ate a hurried breakfast before getting a cab to the airport.

I was early so I wondered through a few of the shops looking at a few things and basically just wasting time. As soon as the clock read noon I walked towards the window and fountain where Zoe and I always met after she got off the plane. 

I sat down on the bench and watched a young couple with a baby sit across from me on another bench. The mother looked down at her baby and the father ran his hand along the side of the mother's face. It was quite adorable, actually. 

I was entranced in the family that I didn't notice when Zoe came down the hallway towards me. "Alfie!' she said quite loudly as she neared me. My head turned up and I smiled. She was back, and she was gorgeous. 

She wasn't wearing any makeup because she never wore any of airplanes. The first time I saw Zoe without makeup and her hair done up everything was the day I really knew I loved her, because to me there was no difference how she looked, I still felt the same. I loved no matter how she looked. She was perfect to me always. 

I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. As she hugged me there in the airport the weight of the ring in my pocket felt heavier than ever. 

xxx