Alfie

When I got back to the apartment I was surprised to see that Zoe's mother was still awake. "Hello Alfie," she said with a smile. "Can we talk?" she asked gesturing to the spot next to her on the couch. I was scared, was she going to eat me or something? 

I sat down, my knee shaking up and down to try to keep my mind on other things than being eaten. It turned out that Zoe's mother just honestly wanted to have a real conversation with me though. Zoe of course had told her what happened and she said she was worried about me. 

She told me how maybe I was rushing things and we should take things slow, which was the last thing I wanted to do. If it was what Zoe wanted, it was what I was going to do though. Like I had said from the start of this relationship I wanted to do anything that would make Zoe happy. 

Zoe's mom and I talked for ages and she actually made me feel much better about everything that had happened. I slept on the couch that night, but it was without a grieving heart. My eyes were dry and I wasn't going to shed another tear over this. 

__________________ 

The next morning I woke up early and went out of the house to go down to the shops and buy Zoe some of her favourite candy. I had an idea that I thought would be really sweet. It was sort of Zoe's mum who had given me the idea actually. 

I was confused as I walked along the street, because none of the stores were open. Then I remembered that it was Christmas morning. With all the drama going on I hadn't even rememebered. 

The second I remembered I ran back to the apartment to put Zoe and her mom's presents under the tree as if Santa Clause had come. After I set up the presents, I carefully and quietly crept into Zoe's room to get my laptop. 

I sat at the kitchen table and typed up a letter for Zoe. It took me a while to perfect it, but after I had finished I printed it and drew her name on the front in a pretty font with crayon. I then made her a cup of tea and propped the letter up on the mug. I hoped she liked it, it was the best I could do to make up for everything I had already done. 

xxx