5. WHAT EVEN HAPPENED???

Travis

The cab met us at the gas station after the hillbilly tow truck driver dropped us off. He worked my last nerve and it was a good thing Lacey took matters into her own hands, meaning her lips on mine, and kissed the hell out of me for a solid minute. I practically forgot my own name when she was done, so thankfully I didn't show the dude how pissed he had made me.

I give great directions. He didn't know what he was talking about.

Thinking about that whole situation was pissing me off all over again. I felt really bad that we had to leave the tree. It never occurred to either of us to look up the regulations on something like that. Which was completely stupid. L.A. has regulations for everything, so we really should have known better. We probably could have gotten the same type of footage at a Christmas tree farm and been able to keep the tree. And not had a stowaway cause me to run the truck into a ditch.

Dang it.

Lacey was on her phone, texting her vapid assistant, Nicole, about finding a new tree. Nice girl, but sheesh! Kind of a ding bat. Luckily she must be graced with some type of good luck. Despite her obvious cluelessness, she seemed to get the job done when needed. And Lacey really needs her to come through this time.

I am officially making it my mission to guarantee that Lacey's launch goes perfectly. She has supported me every step of the way, well, since we got together, and I intend to do the same. Planning that camping trip with her was nothing short of fate, because there was no other way the two of us would have gotten together. Maybe I'm the one blessed with good luck.

Lacey put her phone down, done texting Nicole.

"Does she have a plan?" I ask.

"Of course. She always has one. And no matter how nuts it is, it always works out. I'm not worried about the tree situation anymore." She sighs.

"But..." I add, noting the obvious omission of the word. It was on the tip of her tongue.

"But I am worried about the Sophie situation. She won't talk to me about it. And I have no idea what's going on." She shrugs.

"Now that we are on the road, I'll give Luc a call and grill him about it." I can get the guy to crack and spill his guts pretty quick.

Lacey nods her head. "Do it. The suspense is killing me."

After hitting the call button on his contact, I'm pretty sure the damn thing didn't even ring before I hear him answer.

"Brah, you here?" he asks, clearly in some kind of manic state.

"No, on the road though. What the hell happened, man?" I dive right in to the main topic. I'm not one to waste time.

"You have no idea how just completely nuts she is, bro. I had no idea. I mean, I could have guessed but, yeah."

"Dude. Tell me. Now. What did you do?"

"Nothing!"

"Right. Sure. Nothing. That's why she went nuts, over nothing."

"No really! All I did was ask her to move in with me and bam! Everything blew up!"

I am speechless. Honestly, I have no idea what to say. First, I didn't realize he was that serious about Sophie to actually ask her to move in. Second, what?

"What did he say?" Lacey asks at the same time as Luc says, "Crazy, right?"

My mouth is hanging open, not able to process either comment. I turn to Lacey, with what must be a look of shock.

"Oh my God, what?" she whispers, "Did he cheat on her?"

I just shake my head and attempt to return my attention to Luc. "Um, dang. I seriously don't know how to respond. I don't get it."

"You and me both, brah. I'm going crazy myself over here. Hurry the heck up, would ya?"

"Yeah, I'll get there as soon as I can. Lace and I had to share a cab, though. It might be a while."

"Crap! Fine. Gotta go before I do more damage. Text me when you're close."

More damage? "Chill, man. Be there soon."

I ended the call and looked at Lacey. "Confirmed. I don't understand your unstable friend. Or mine."

^^^^^

So...what do you think of Sophie's reaction? I guess we need more info, which is on its way, eventually 😉

Thanks for reading and voting and commenting. Love it! And you!! 💋🎄

 Love it! And you!! 💋🎄