16. THOSE LITTLE WORDS...

Lacey

I'm tired.

I mean, there's tired, and then there's tiuuuurrrd. That's me right there. This launch just about did me in. But I pulled it off beautifully. I'm just not sure I could ever have enough energy to do another one.

The last of the swag bags has been handed out, the meet and greet backdrop has been packed away, and now it's just a few of us prepping to leave. Some head honchos from the company paid a little visit at the end, and they're still standing around chatting near my main display. It's giving me a weird vibe. I'm not sure what their impression is as I watch them point to the different aspects of the display.

Even though the main point of all of this drama was my product line, the display and give-a-ways all paint a picture of the feel of what Radiance is about. I just hope I painted the right picture.

"Ms. Mitchell, May I congratulate you on such a fabulous start to your product line," Mr. Jones, the president of The Outdoor Life says. I stand in awe as he continues to speak. "Yours is a unique take on an outdoor holiday."

Unique good? At this point I have no idea.

"Thank you, sir. And thank you so much for coming!" I say, reaching out to shake his hand.

"Ah, the pleasure is all mine. Once my secretary received the invitation from Miss Nicole, I couldn't say no. Lovely idea, the potted pine tree with the scrolling ribbon wound around listing the details of your launch. Charming."

Hmmm, Nicole was keeping some little secrets. I had no idea she sent an invitation to the company president. Those had been created for other YouTubers, a few of whom did show up and created a little hysteria. They were mobbed by fans the second they walked in.

"I'm so glad you like it," I reply still shocked at how he seems so impressed.

"Now, this display...how did you come up with such a modern holiday tree, and yet it perfectly represents what The Outdoor Life is all about; nature at its finest."

After Sophie collided with the tree, I took one look at the broken branches and made a decision. Actually, it was probably four or five looks, but that's beside the point. Everyone is all into presenting things in a way that breaks them down to their basic elements, artistically. Why not do the same with a Christmas tree? I had Travis hack off all of the main greenery so all that was left of the tree was the logs of the trunk and the main branches. Toby brought what he had on hand and did the same thing. Then we rebuilt the tree shape, using only the logs, twisted the greens into a long garland and wound it around the wood, but suspended it from the ceiling with fishing line so it wasn't touching the actual tree.

It sounds complicated, and in a way it was. But it looks completely simple and elegant. Once we added the lights, also suspended in a separate arc, and little silver glass ornaments, the effect was like an art installation.

"I have to say, my friends gave me the inspiration." I look over to where Sophie is standing, Luc's arms wrapped around her as they'd been all day, and give her a wink. She smiles in reply, then hugs Luc a little tighter. I can't say how relieved I am to see them back together.

"Good friends can do that," Mr. Jones says. "I do believe that your Radiance line has been given a great start. Marketing will certainly do their part to keep the momentum going. Your YouTube channel is sure to help with that as well. Have a wonderful holiday season, Ms. Mitchell." Mr. Jones says his goodbyes swiftly and makes his exit.

Is it time to pass out yet? The store would be open for several hours, but my time is up, this job is done. I look around to tell everyone that I am ready to leave, but they are already gone. What the hell?

"Hey, princess," Travis says as he steps into my view. "Looks like there's one more swag bag." He's holding up one of the canvas bags as evidence.

"What? I thought we gave them all out? So that means someone who could have had it missed out." I actually feel terrible. People had lined up early for those.

"Not this one, babe." Travis winks and steps closer to me. "I'm pretty sure this one was customized just for you." He has a mischievous look in his eye, which I've seen before. And honestly, it makes my heart race. He is up to something.

"What did you do?" I ask suspiciously.

"Why don't you take a peek and find out," he challenges me.

I take the bag and look inside. How was he even able to do this? Had he been planning this the whole time? I'd only known for two days that the launch was today.

I pull out a frame, just large enough to sit on my desk. Inside are two hearts cut from a map. Under the first heart are the words "first kiss." Under the second heart are the words "first yes." In the last part of the frame is an open space and the words "future yes."

I look at Travis with tears in my eyes. I can't speak but he realizes I have questions.

"The campground map where I had the privilege of snuggling with you all night after an amazing first kiss," he says pointing to heart number one. "And a map showing where my house is, where you said yes to being my girlfriend," he says pointing to the second heart.

"And the future?" I'm finally able to ask, but just barely. The guy hasn't even said he loves me yet. This can't be what I think it is...

"Someday, I'm going to ask you that question, the question, because I can't imagine spending my life without the girl I love right by my side."

Before I can say a word in response, he reaches into the bag and pulls out one more item. At first all I see is a metal ring, so of course my heart practically pounds out of my chest. But then I realize it's a keychain with a little penny dangling from one side.

"I had this engraved with a date," he tells me, pressing the penny into my hand. I recognize the month and day as the first day of our camp out. But the year is 2018, six months in the future.

"I have a plan," he continues, "So I need you to save this date for me. Deal?"

I nod.

"I love you, Lacey."

Tears flow freely now. We are still standing in the stupid store next to my display, and I'm freaking crying.

"I love you too, Travis."

^^^^^

Awwww!! Did you like? And it was a long one! But I had to describe her display, so that took a while. What did you think of Mr. Jones? I'm kind of thinking of chopping his part, but it helped with the display explanation so...meh.

And OMG Travis!!! He said it, and his little plan might show up as an epilogue!! I'm keeping to the same format as CWT, so the next chapter will be a Youtube transcript, then I will have four epilogues, and all of our peeps will be included. Yay!!

Just in case you can't picture Lacey's display, I'm including an aesthetic to help paint the picture... 💋🎄 click on!!

 💋🎄 click on!!