6. MY EXPLANATION...

Lacey

Travis just sits there, kind of staring at his phone in a daze. He shakes his head repeatedly, then starts mumbling something I can't really understand. The only word that makes sense is idiot.

"Who's the idiot?" I ask.

"Huh?" He looks over to me. "Oh, um, both of them, actually. Why in the dang hell would she break up with him for that?"

"Yeah, I'm not sure. Maybe it was the way he asked?" I pose, not even believing that as a possibility. "I'm calling her, blowing up her phone until she answers."

And that's exactly what I have to do, blow up her phone for five minutes, call after call with no break in between, until I finally hear...

"What!?" yelled at me from the other end. Again. She's still in a mood. But so am I.

"Exactly." I say.

"Huh?" Sophie says a bit softer.

"What is wrong with you? Why are you so mad at Luc? All he did was ask you to move in with him!"

"Isn't that enough? I mean, what was he thinking? How stupid could a person possibly get?"

"It's statements like that which make me question not only your sanity, but mine for being friends with you. Sophie, he was thinking he likes you enough to live with you, to spend every day with you. What's so bad about that?" I attempt to reason with a totally unreasonable person. My sanity is definitely in question at this point.

"You just don't get it." She huffs, accurately. She's right, I don't get it, and I'm not sure I ever will.

"Alright, so explain it to me."

"You wouldn't understand, because you're you, and I'm..." she cuts herself off.

"What? What are you? Because what I see is an amazing person, no matter how off your rocker you seem to be at the moment." And she is amazing, when she's level headed. Which is about half of the time.

"Whatever. I just know that me moving in with him will be the beginning of the end. When he sees how I really am in day to day life, he'll dump me. Why prolong the inevitable, right?"

I shake my head. "Or..." I draw out an extended pause to make sure I get her full attention.

"Or?" She interjects, clearly wondering what's on my mind.

"His opinion of you and the fact that he cares for you so deeply will be confirmed. He'll realize living life with you by his side is as wonderful as he thought and he won't believe he's lucky enough to have you." I tell her softly, trying to remind her of the great relationship they have. Because honestly, they are the perfect pair, almost as perfect as Travis and I.

"Not possible. There's a reason I've never had a roommate, Lacey. There's a reason I never even entertained the idea of you and I sharing a place. There's a reason I require twenty-four hours notice before anyone just 'drops by' and I really don't need him to get acquainted with that side of me."

"So you're a slob, who cares?" I counter, shrugging as I say it. Travis looks over at me with one eyebrow raised. He's been listening this whole time I'm pretty sure, but I'm not telling Soph that she talks loud enough for a deaf guy at a rock concert to hear every word she says. Travis will more than likely tell Luc her fears. And that's exactly my plan, because the only way this can be resolved is if Luc jumps in and smashes her preconceived ideas about him.

"That's putting it mildly, and not even close to the real issue. Listen, thanks for getting all up in my face and everything, but there's nothing you can do. It's over, and it would have been anyway, so at least now I can just go ahead and eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's and call it a day."

The call goes silent, Sophie having ended it without letting me say another word. Instead, I speak my final thought to the given audience, namely the anonymous cab driver and Travis.

"There's something Luc can do," I say, then give a side glance to Travis, who's looking right at me, "that is if he has an enlightening conversation in the very near future."

Her puts his arm around my shoulders and kisses my temple. "I'm on it, princess."

And that's why I love him. But that nickname has got to go.

^^^^^

Aaaannnnd, Lacey to the rescue! What do you think, are Travis and Lacey going to make a bigger mess or fix all the booboos??

Your guess is as good as mine, lol. BTW thanks for reading and voting!! Clickbait, right?!? 💋🎄

 BTW thanks for reading and voting!! Clickbait, right?!? 💋🎄