11. WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TOLD YOU...

Lacey

The swag bags are ready, all the display tables are set, and I'm still here waiting for my tree. Nicole promised, and she better deliver.

"Where the heck is she?" I'm losing my mind, and freaking out. It's like watching a slow moving train crash. I see it coming, but there's nothing I can do to stop the destruction.

"Calm down, girl. Just run down to the hardware store. They sell those pre-lit trees you can have up in ten minutes," Sophie says as she clicks her heals on the hard concrete floor. My bestie is still wearing the Halloween costume and looking like a showgirl gone wild. If it matched my theme I could deal, but dang. I can't even look at her.

"Soph, this is an outdoor adventure store, I can't have a fake tree!" Sheesh, this girl is no help.

"Whatever, who even cares..." She shrugs and clicks in her heels over to the snack area.

"If you touch one of those marshmallow snowman, I'm coming after you with...with..."

Sophie just sticks out one hip and crosses her arms, clearly not buying what I'm trying to sell her. "You'll what? Decorate me? Stick me into one of your swag bags?" Then she puts her hands out towards me, palms up, and pulls back with her fingers, calling me to her. "Bring it."

A challenge.

One I don't have time to accept.

"Just stay away from my displays!" Where is her insane other half? Shouldn't he be here by now, wooing her back to reality?

"Maybe I will, maybe I won't." She shrugs and walks over to the leather settee set next to the clothing racks.

"I got it!" I hear being shouted by the entrance. I look over to see Nicole rushing in, thankfully being trailed by some guy dragging a tree. Finally!

"I thought you'd never get here! I'm going to be here til midnight as it is!" I exclaim as I walk to the spot I have prepared for the centerpiece of my launch display. "Put it here so I can start decorating."

The guy is holding the tree semi-upright, directly in front of his face and body. He's struggling to set it down, but ends up getting it in just the right spot.

"Perfect!" I declare as I step back and assess the tree Nicole found. "In fact, this looks a lot like the tree Travis and I picked out yesterday. Wow, lucky break, because that tree had the perfect natural look I'm going for. Just...like..."

My voice trails off at the end, because this tree certainly looks a lot like my original. Almost too close to the original. There was a perfect little V created by two branches at the bottom, and I remember thinking that would be just the look I wanted as people entered the store. It was not too big, not too small and completely natural. Just like this tree.

"Um...Nicole? Where did you get this tree?" I ask after realizing the similarities.

"Like I said, I know a guy." She presented her hands in that way that says "ta-da" as she gestured to the guy behind the tree. He steps out from behind said tree and I see his face for the first time.

"Toby?" I shriek. The tow truck driver? What in the world?

Sophie's been watching the whole time and chooses that moment to start laughing like a maniac. I told her all about Travis' new arch nemesis.

"Hey, I know you!" He drawls in that accent. "You dat gurl in da ditch."

Oh hell no, I'm not dealing with this right now.

"Bahahaha!" Sophie is laughing so hard tears are streaming down her cheeks. She gets up and walks over toward Toby, stumbling in the three inch heels. Her hand goes up and rests on his shoulder. "Man, have I heard about you," she says while pointing at him.

"What the hell is going on here!" Luc shouts from the back service entrance. "One day, Sophie, one dang day and look at you!" He gestures to her outrageous attire. "And get your hands off the grease monkey!"

Sophie turns towards Luc and glares just as he starts removing his red flannel shirt. Then her eyebrows fly up as he continues making his way over to her, attempting to throw the shirt over her.

"For God's sakes, Soph, put some damn clothes on!"

Sophie shouts, "No!" and turns to run, slipping on the slick concrete and sliding right into my tree, knocking the whole thing over and snapping half of the branches.

Yeah. This is my actual life.

^^^^^

Whoa. Bye bye tree. Hello Toby. That's all I got. Maybe Clickbait will help??

Coming right up...💋🎄

💋🎄