8/27 - WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR???

Sophie

Lacey is taking forever. FOREVER. Honestly, I have never seen a person open a present so slowly. And she has about five hundred more to go! Thank goodness there's cake, otherwise I would be so out of here.

"Ready for the next one yet?" I ask. I'm trying not to sound irritated, but my girl knows me so that's pretty much impossible.

"Relax, Soph. This is the only time I'm ever going to get to open wedding gifts with my husband after an amazing week in paradise. I'm taking my time. Go eat some more cake or something."

"Gladly. That cake was awesome, best wedding cake I ever tasted." That's no lie. It's really good. "But aren't you supposed to save the top for your anniversary or something?"

"Lacey didn't want to eat year-old cake." Travis walks back into the living room where Luc and I piled all of their gifts after taking them to the airport. "Neither did I, actually. And since the only taste of it I had at the wedding was the clump that made it into my mouth when Lacey attacked me with it, I wanted to eat some now."

"Who even started that tradition? Why would someone wait an entire year to eat their cake?" Luc follows Travis, also with a slice of cake. "It's kind of stupid."

"Can we get back to work?" Lacey asks the rest of us. As if opening presents is work. Although, I am having to take notes so she can write thank you cards for the next month. And Lacey is putting each card she gets into a little file folder, keeping them all organized for some future scrapbook she's got planned.

"Sure, wife." Travis winks at her, then leans down to give her a kiss.

"Thanks, husband."

I love these two, but this needs to stop.

"Wanna go make out?" Luc is whispering in my ear.

Normally I would say yes, but I'm a little nauseous from the sappy display, and the sugar overload from too much cake. "Maybe later, roomie. I feel kind of sick right now."

Luc decides that's his cue to nibble my ear. I shoo him away and get back to my note taking. Sheesh, who knew how much work being the maid-of-honor would be! I was glad when the wedding was over because I thought I could finally get a break, but nope. More work for me. I'm sure I'm going to be addressing the thank you cards as soon as all of the presents are open.

"Roomie?" Lacey looks at me, "Did I hear you correctly?" She knows how challenging it's been for me to move in with Luc, so the fact that I'm calling him my roommate is a big deal.

"Yeah." I don't really want to elaborate.

"Oh. Good." She gives me a little nod and goes right back to opening the gifts. Lacey knows me well enough not to push it. I knew there was a reason she's my best friend.

"Yeah, that's great news!" Travis adds. "We've got some news, too."

"Travis, not now." Lacey shoots him a look. The kind a wife gives a husband when she wants him to shut up.

"Now's as good a time as any," he says before looking back at where Luc and I are sitting on the couch. "We put an offer on a house and it got accepted today. We're moving in thirty days."

"Moving? How far?" I'm nervous that Lacey will be farther then the twenty minute drive she is now.

"Actually, it's pretty close to you guys." She reassures me.

"Wow! That's awesome, I can't wait to see it! We better be your first guests." I jump up to give her a hug.

"Oh, I'll do better then that. I need you to help me plan, and pack, and decorate the new place."

I look at Luc and his face has the same expression mine does. Crap. More work. I guess that's what friends are for. "Yeah, I should have figured. Of course I'll help. But I might need a vacation afterwards."

"I'm down for some travel time," Luc says with a big smile.

"We know a great place in the Bahamas," Travis says. "Oh, hey! Looks like you can have that destination wedding after all." Travis winks at Luc.

I laugh my ass off, but then I notice how quiet Luc is next to me so I turn to look at him. He's got this look in his eye as he stares at me. We're both silent. Then he raises one eyebrow. Challenge extended.

A destination wedding?

Yeah, I guess I could go for that. I wink at Luc to give him my approval. Challenge accepted.

"Oh my gosh! Did you guys just get silently engaged?" Lacey is squealing from her spot on the couch.

I shrug, "Maybe."

Lacey calms herself down, then returns to her unwrapping. "Oh. Cool."

And that's how a totally chill, perfectly relaxed, not scary at all proposal should go.

^^^^^

The last part! And that ending was so challenging for me! But since Sophie could accept Luc's challenge, I figured I could handle this one.

One more Clickbait! 😘