(Skyrim) Hadvar- Even If She's My Enemy

Requested by: Origin

——————-

It was a normal day in Skyrim, at least as normal as it can get in a land ripped apart by war. The imperial soldier, Hadvar had been standing in the cold, his amber eyes had been rechecking the parchment in his hand, tiny snowflakes had gathered in fine lines of his dusky tresses. The sun hadn't risen yet, nor was the carriage here. There were only guards of Helgen and his general screaming and barking orders at the others, but seeing him work accordingly, the general didn't bother to shout at him.

There was a reason to the leaders' anger here, the prisoner carriages were an hour late. Many of these prisoners had escaped already before and the effort to recapture them was indeed difficult. There was a little restlessness and anticipation of the worse in everyone's hearts here.

However what this imperial soldier Hadvar felt was heart aching and depressing. Though he would never tell anyone about his feelings, at times he felt overwhelmed and alone by them. Hadvar wanted to walk up to his friend and tell him about the stress and grief he felt, that he didn't want to see a certain stormcloak here today and especially not executed. But wouldn't it bring questions in the mind, that why doesn't he want a stormcloak to be not executed? No, there are some words better left unspoken.

Hadvar's thoughts were interrupted when quiet a variety of voices came to his earshot. The soldier looked up from the parchment, his eyes desperately looking at the carriages, praying to the Divines that he does not see her. Hadvar would've thanked the gods but seeing that all so familiar (h/c) tresses, the innocent but tough expressions and hearing her voice made his heart sink.

It would seem she hadn't seen him yet, but it'd be very soon when he will be writing her name on the parchment of execution or if he was lucky maybe she won't be killed by the imperials today, he let his hopes fuel again.

Hadvar had fond memories of this female stormcloak, as she fought for a cause she understood and had faith in. (Y/n) didn't join the stormcloaks to fight for Ulfric or kill the Thalmor, her cause was pure, she did not desire unnecessary bloodshed instead she prayed that these matters settle with words not violence, she worshipped and lived for the god Talos and seeing her beliefs being destroyed and violated by these Thalmor, she had taken up arms against them.

However, one day Hadvar was sent near Fort Greymoor to fight and kill any remaining stormcloaks that might be there. The soldier did as he was told, he traveled from Haafingar to the Whiterun Hold, as he neared the tower, all he saw was corpses of brave soldiers that fought and fell that day.

"Such waste of life..." Hadvar grievingly shook his head as he walked into the courtyard of the tower, a quiet sobbing of a woman caught him by surprise as he looked around for the source.

Not much far from him, a cloaked figure covered her face and sat beside a fallen stormcloak, sobbing bitterly.

Hadvar felt yet more grief by the sight of it, but maybe it was a trap, he unsheathed his blade and approached the woman with utmost caution, better be safe than sorry.

"You there!" Hadvar tried to speak toughly but his voice appeared somewhat friendly and sympathetic towards her "Do you hold any arms with you? Don't try to fight and I shall let you walk away" he frowned, holding the sword by his side

"About time these imperials sent their lackeys to kill any remaining survivors" she said as she looked behind her, directly at Hadvar, her (e/c) eyes that once might have reflected kindness, now burned with rage "then let them know, I shall not surrender without a fight" she grimaced as she stood up.

Hadvar had mistaken her for a villager, judging by the old and patched cloak, but as her form turned to him, he saw her garbed in full stormcloak uniform and there was no doubt that she was a soldier from the rivaling faction.

"I don't desire any combat with a woman, leave this place, you have an entire life ahead of you!" Hadvar insisted, softening his expressions

"May Talos give me strength, and to Oblivion with your blasted cause!" (Y/n) shouted, paying no heed to his warning and proceeded to strike.

Hadvar defending himself, still pleaded to her to return but the female was stubborn, as she was determined to kill today.

That day Hadvar had refused to combat her and retreated, an unknown energy did not want him to harm her. Perhaps it was Mara that watched them that day and not Talos, perhaps it was her who planted the seed of love in his heart for (y/n).

"Soldier!" The general shouted at Hadvar, as he was startled out of his musings.

Hadvar embarrassingly walked towards the carriage, holding the parchment and quill. After sending Ralof and Ulfric to the chopping block, his most dreaded moment came.

"But general, she is not on the list" Hadvar was happy in his mind, thinking that the Divines had heard him

"It doesn't matter, she goes to the block, now hurry up" The general ordered

"Y-yes captain" he muttered and nodded, his heart sank and his eyes almost welled up in tears as he sent (y/n) to the block.

A horrible display of death had occurred to a stormcloak soldier, sending fear to everyone's hearts and twisting their expressions.

However the soldier noticed that (y/n) had stood cold and brave even at the face of death, this made all the more difficult for him to watch. "I don't want to see this, why must this-" his thoughts were interrupted when a shadowy and gigantic serpentine creature began to wreak havoc as it appeared.

There was a chance for him to save the woman he loved, and he would do it no matter what.

Hours later they stood outside the Helgen exit, the female stormcloak had been silent all along, eyes still searching the dragon in the sky, the (h/c) hair moving gracefully in the light breeze. Hadvar opened his mouth to say something but (y/n) spoke as soon as he did so

"Why did you save me? Even after knowing that I'm your enemy?" there was a hint of gratitude and confusion in her voice

"I find you to be noble, and a great warrior as well. But what made me respect you the most, was your heart" Hadvar replied, his voice friendly and gentle as usual

"You mean being a soft gut and a coward is good?" (Y/n) questioned, it'd seem she somewhat disliked her kindness

"Being ignorant and bitter like these "nords" aren't really a trait to appreciate, you may or may not be a nord but you are one at heart and a true on at that" Hadvar reassures

"Then I can say that I've found my companion today" she smiled sweetly towards him and lovingly held his hand, followed by Hadvar closing his fingers to hold hers.....