(WoW) Genn Greymane- The Last Embrace

Requested by: Knightmare21
————
Thirteen years has passed since she had left his side. Since she had left her people's side, their son's side... since she left this world. And yet the wounds of her passing left on his heart is still as painful as the first day. Genn knelt beside her grave, silently grieving the loss of the most flawless woman he had and would ever meet, the perfect queen of Gilneas and a loving mother. Though it had been a long time since the fall of Gilneas, and a lot of changes had happened in his life, he could never forget that dreadful evening. That day taught him how quickly life can change, he understood that how quick a person can change and no longer be the same just the next minute if it was fated to. And that day had changed him.

It was a few weeks prior to the attack, when the rumors were just rumors about man turning into vicious beasts and running rampant on a murder spree. Very few to none believed them as they thought the gates of the city will keep them safe, and the dwellers of the palace, the royalty, would just laugh it off as "peasant talk" and go on about their days. Things were happier during the last days of Gilneas, Genn could rule in peace by the side of the woman he dearly loved and together they took joy in watching their son grow.
The couple would spend evenings with each other, in the rosy gardens of the palace, talking about their son and their plans of the future. A mature conversation between them would instantly turn into an immature one when Genn would sneak in one of his flirty comments in middle of their conversation. Even after years of them being together, it would still make her blush.
"Well now stop it! What are we? Still young ones?" She quickly said, smiling embarrassingly
"If you desire, I can make it so" Genn replied, winking at her slightly.
"I suppose I can never change you" she shrugged at the very obvious suggestive remark of his. However the playful mood of the conversation grew a little serious when (y/n) bought up the situation about the curse that the rumors were talking about
"This curse, Genn, is it truly happening outside Gilneas?" she asked, concerned "for if it is then so many innocents have fallen into its darkness, as there are so many hamlets and villages outside our city" she looked at the gates that loomed in the distance
"Do not worry love" Genn reassuringly held her hand "if it is true then we would have noticed that by now, we have scouts and guards protecting them, it's some hogwash created by a bored person... you don't need to be alarmed" he explained to her before looking at her and smiling. Returning his smile, she replied "I truly hope that this rumor is false, I cannot imagine the bloodshed that will occur if..." she paused at her words, she couldn't talk about the dark thoughts in her mind, in fear of them becoming true.
Genn put his arm around her shoulder protectively and looked into her eyes
"it's alright (y/n), you are in the reality where everything is fine" he teased "come on let's go inside the castle, it must be getting cold here" he said, (y/n) sighed and smiled before they walked into the castle.

Soon the rumors about the "worgen" began to turn into truth when citizens would often go missing from their homes at night, either they wouldn't return or their mutilated corpses would be left by the gates. An illness around the city began to spread as well, most of the time, during the last stages of that illness, the infected would run away and go missing. More and more of these humanlike wolves were attacking the civilians, and at one point they were attacking the main gates of Gilneas. The soldiers were assembled and the prince Greymane was leading the defense of the city, Genn knew that the young prince couldn't do all of that alone so he had to leave the defense of his own castle to his champions and heroes.

The afraid (y/n) held her king's hand, looking at him longingly, fearing that she might never see him again.
"My love, promise me that you will return home, safely with our son" she said, reaching up to him as tears were welling up in her eyes
"I will my dearest, there is no reason to cry" Genn slightly laughed to comfort her, as he gently ran his fingers through her silky strands of hair
"This fear... this feeling that I'm having... I feel like something terrible is going to happen..." she said, sobbing bitterly
"Hey..." Genn hid his own fears by smiling at her as if nothing was wrong, he gently cupped her face in his hands and kissed her forehead "I am promising I will return home and I won't be even late! As if I just left and returned, you won't even notice that I was gone!" He lightheartedly said, hoping she would smile.
But her tears wouldn't stop, she clutched the sleeves of his coat and stared at him, sobbing
"Please... don't let anything happen to you" she pleaded for him to be safe, the light of the moon made her tearful eyes glisten. Just like the times when they were newlywed, they would stand like this under the moonlight, just looking into each other's eyes, speaking to each other's souls. It pained the king to think that those cheerful eyes only held fear and grief, he gently brought her closer and enclosed his arms around her shivering body
"Shh..." he whispered "don't cry... I will defeat even the strongest foe, so that I can return home to you" his words seemed to have calmed her a little, her sobbing had subsided, changed by occasional sniffs.
Genn held her shoulders and looked into her eyes, she refused to look at him, tears still running down her eyes. He gently lifted her face by her chin, smiling at her when she looked. She returned the smile.
No words were needed for them, he bought an end to their meeting by a kiss, lingering in each other's embrace a little while before he stepped back
"I won't be long my dear queen" he said, not delaying anymore and walking towards the bedroom door
"I love you, my king" she said
Genn froze as he was about to open the door, he looked back at her, the darkness hid the tears that were welling up in his eyes "I love you as well..." he replied before reluctantly leaving the chamber. Closing the door behind him, he too began to feel the arrival of something foreboding, why did it feel like it was the last time he held her? The last time they kissed? The last time they will ever talk again? Genn wiped his tears away, a city was needed to be saved and there was no time to waste.

Genn's instincts were right, (y/n)'s instincts were right. A terrible evening it was, he lost his dear wife by the time he returned, she was laying in a pool of blood where they said their goodbyes. The claw marks on her body showed that it was one of those worgens. The king had lost everything that night.
In the present, Genn took a rose out from his coat, he gently kissed it and placed it on his queen's grave. "I shall never forget you my dear (y/n), you were my first and only love" the king sighed and left....