34

Troye Sivan

What did I do wrong? Is it something I said?

"Darling, I highly doubt you did anything to upset him." Margret assures me through the phone two days later.

"I just don't know," I whisper, sitting alone in his office.

"He has a lot of stressors in his life, I doubt his mood drop had anything to do with you." She coaxes, her voice sweet and soothing.

"Okay," I mumble, biting down on my lip, "I just hope you're right."

Striding in, Jacob gestures for me to come forward.

"Okay, I gotta go. I will see you tonight." I set Jacob's mobile down and scurry up to him.

"Who was that?" He asks.

I shrug, "No one, just checking in."

He holds his stare, utterly unconvinced as he tries to look through my little fib.

"Is there a reason why you won't tell me?" He continues, "Because you know I don't like lies."

I shake my head, "No, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to lie... it's just personal."

"Too personal for me to know?"

"No- I mean like-"

"Whatever." He mutters, "Can I trust you to be left alone up here? I'm running late for an appointment."

I nod, "Yes, sure."

"Okay." He nods once and turns around, walking back to the lift.

In my mind, I call out to him and explain. In my mind, I had no reason to lie in the first place. In my mind, I pull him back and kiss him with all the passion in the world.

Alas, I don't do a thing. I watch him get sucked into the lift and brought down to his client.

What is going on with us?