Chapter 7

Chapter 7

        They ended up at a local diner called Zain's. They sat down and lifted up their menus. Jessika looked up at the waiter's face. He was handsome. The dark brown hair fell down across his face and his piercing green eyes stared their fill. His mouth was curved into a flirtatious smile.  

        "Hi. My name is Zain." 

        Kathryn looked up and smiled at him. 

        "Hey Zain. Long time no see." 

        He turned and quickly did a double take. 

        "Kathryn? What are you doing here? Wait. Sorry I forgot. I'm sorry about your Dad, Kat." 

        Kathryn smiled a little at him. 

        "Thanks. Natalie this is Zain, he owns this place. Zain this is my girlfriend Natalie." 

        Kathryn was clearly looking at Zain for a reaction. If her mother's reaction was anywhere to go by, people in the town were clearly going to hate her more than ever. 

        "Really? I didn't know you finally admitted it. Haha. Natalie, did Kat tell you we went to Prom together? I had a hotel lined up and everything. Then she looked me dead in the eye and said, 'Zain I'm not having sex with you. You aren't my type and I hate that you thought it was like that between us.' Her last parting words were, 'You prick.' Needless to say, we've been like brother and sister since." 

        Natalie laughed. Kathryn was relieved that Zain felt that way. She would always be worried about the people she knew and their reactions. That is until she asked Natalie to marry her. 

        "That does sound like something she would say." 

        Kathryn playfully glared at both of them. 

        "I don't have to take this abuse from you both. Anyway Zain, when did your dad hand over the restaurant to you?" 

        He looked at the wall thoughtfully. 

        "About five years ago I think. I honestly don't remember exactly because it was a smooth tradition for everyone. Dad retired and he's on his boat somewhere in the Mediterranean." They laughed. 

        "That does sound like Ray. Natalie, did you know what you wanted?" 

        She glanced down at the menu and ordered the first thing she saw. 

        "I'll have a bacon cheeseburger with pickles, ketchup and mustard." 

        "Big meal for such a tiny woman." 

        "But I assure you that I'm all woman." 

        They teased each other and they didn't notice the gleam in Kathryn's eye.  

        "I'll have the sirloin steak." 

        Natalie noticed the tone of Kathryn's voice. Zain walked away and put the order in, seeing to the rest of his customers.  

        "Kate, you can't be jealous of that. I don't even like him that way. I love you and only you." 

        Kathryn took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a second. When she looked back at Natalie she saw that she was genuinely concerned. 

        "I'm fine, Nat. I'm sorry. Zain did take one of the boys I was interested in in high school. Although it was successful and did prove his point that he was a slut, it hurt." 

        "Wait. He's gay?" 

        Kathryn laughed at her. 

        "No. It was just a period of time in his life where he experimented. It was funny when he flirted with the guys. Before he got buff and cute he was scrawny and skinny but that boy had serious game. He made the jocks terrified and seriously intimidated. It was so funny to see him leering at them and they were cowering against the lockers." 

        They laughed hard. Natalie looked over and stared at Zain for a second. She could see that. Though the man had muscles it wasn't overly done. 

        "Kathryn, I'm sorry about your mom." 

        Kathryn's eyes turned sorrowfully to look out the window next to their booth. She took her time thinking before she turned back to look at Natalie. 

        "I'm not. She was being rude and mean. I don't care what she thinks, Nat. I love you and you are mine for however long you'll have me. I don't think God hates us and will send us to hell. God made us who we are and gave us free will. It comes with being a human being. He might not like people being gay but he doesn't condemn us. I love you." 

        Natalie blinked away tears. 

         "I love you too, Kate."

        They ate their food accompanied with small conversation. Kathryn was planning on giving Natalie a tour of her small town. They walked out of the diner and Natalie started walking away but paused and turned around when she saw Kathryn just standing there. 

        "What, Kat?" 

        Kathryn's answer was holding her hand out for Natalie's. Nat grinned and walked back, taking Kathryn's hand in hers. They walked down the street hand in hand only getting a few looks. They were stopped by a couple of people giving Kate their condolences and getting caught up. 

        Kathryn showed Natalie the post office and then showed her the places she used to hang out when she was in high school. This made sense after Natalie told her that she hadn't been back for ten years or so. Natalie felt sad for her, for the hatred that ran so deep in her mother and father. She thought it a miracle that her and her siblings turned out so well.  

        Kathryn wasn't in a hurry to get back to the hotel room because she knew that when she got back she would crash. All the adrenaline that had been running through her for two days was suddenly going out of her, no matter that she had five cups of coffee in the diner. She turned to Natalie and was going to tell her that they should get back to get sleep when she saw Natalie with a smile. She followed her gaze and saw a old couple walking around holding hands and looking so in love. Kathryn smiled too. 

        "Natalie we should get back. I'm about to fall asleep on my feet." 

        She turned to look at Kat and saw her eyes were half-lidded. She nodded her head and practically pulled Kathryn to the car. She drove and told Kathryn to take a nap on the way to the hotel. When they got in to their room they stripped down to their underwear and slid in between the sheets. 

        Kathryn sleepily pulled Natalie towards her and held on, letting the sleep lull her into a dreamlessness. A smile on her face because she finally had the one thing that she always wanted. Natalie.

*****************

A/N: I was so excited to get a chapter out fast that I forgot to get ready for my sister's vow renewal at 1. LOL! Here's another update and I hope you guys like it! I hope that there is going to be a happy chapter soon but we still have a couple to go before we get there. Happy Saturday!  XD

CSwartz