Chapter 17- The Dinner: Part Two

Chapter 17

        Natalie walked up to the door and opened it to a nervous face. She stood there shocked and then her mind back tracked to the look on Kathryn's face. Natalie mustered up a smile for the woman at the door. 

        "Stacy! What a pleasant surprise! Would you just excuse me for a moment? Please come in." 

        Natalie closed the door behind Stacy and then held up a finger for her to wait there. She walked the five feet to the dining room entryway and stared at Kathryn. Kathryn looked up and raised an eyebrow. Natalie raised both of hers and Kathryn stood up, making her excuses and that she'd be right back. 

        Kathryn's brain was exploding with the possibilities that could happen now. She walked past Natalie, touching her hand on her arm in comfort and reassurance and walked up to the door and hugged a nervous Stacy. The blond stood there awkwardly before she patted her back. 

        Kathryn turned to Natalie and motioned for her to walk closer. 

        "Hi, Stacy. I thought you said you couldn't make it." 

        She shifted on her feet and glanced down and around. 

        "Well, my plans changed at the last minute and I decided to take you up on your invitation." 

        "That's great that you decided to come. We have several people who came and it's definitely nice to have another woman here. We weren't expecting you so we already started eating but we'll find you a chair really quick. We'll make sure you sit next to one of us so you don't feel uncomfortable, is that okay?" 

        Stacy quickly nodded her head and followed them to the dining room.

        Stacy debated with herself for three hours whether or not she should go to the dinner party. She eventually called her friend and got advice. Her friend said that if she liked the guy that much she should go and that she could always use more friends. Stacy felt that Kathryn and Natalie could be the friends that she needed. If the whole thing with Justin fell through, she knew they would not dump their friendship just because of that. Or at least, the friendship that she hoped would bud. 

        She forgot to ask Kathryn for their phone number and decided that she'd take the chance on showing up. Her clothes were always a different matter and even though Kathryn said that it was casual, she still chose a summer dress to wear. High heels to match, of course. Stacy straightened her blonde hair and left it down, simple and elegant, or at least she hoped so.  

        When Natalie opened the door, she knew that Kathryn didn't tell her. It made her even more nervous. They walked into the dining room and her eyes met Justin's wide ones. Apparently Kathryn neglected to tell anyone that she might show up, or that she invited her at all. Granted, she said she might not come, but she did. She looked around the table and saw all the men seated around it. One man, sitting next to Justin, looked interested in her and she decided to not pay him any more attention than necessary. The other two men besides Justin looked interested but not in her. She recognized Luke belatedly and decided she was safe from him, he came out a year or so ago and they grew up together. She also recognized Caleb and they grew up together and she was safe from him too.  

        Justin kept staring at her and made her feel uncomfortable. It wasn't as if she was stalking him, she was invited. Determined to be more confident she raised her chin up and thought happy thoughts. Kathryn left to grab a chair and she sat it on her right next to Caleb and across from Justin. She walked over and sat down, twenty seconds later there was a plate, silverware and a glass in front of her. She blushed a little bit and shifted uneasily.