Chapter 21

Chapter 21

        Natalie was making sandwiches for lunch when the phone rang. She put the lid on the mayo and rushed over answering it with a cheerful hello. 

        "Is this the residence of Kathryn and Natalie McDermott?" 

        Natalie felt the familiar happiness rush through her at the sound of Kathryn and Natalie's names being together. 

        "Yes it is. This is Natalie, how can I help you?" 

        "This is Melissa from the Adoption Agency that you sent an application to? I wanted to know when you were free for a interview. We are very interested in your application and want the opportunity to talk more with you." 

        Natalie held the phone away from her mouth and covered it with her hand. She did a happy dance and squealed. She paused after a couple of seconds and cleared her throat before talking again. 

        "Yes. We should be free this Wednesday in the afternoon." 

        "Great! Would 3:30 work for you?" 

        "That sounds like a plan." 

        "Alright I have it written down. I can't wait to meet you and Kathryn. Goodbye." 

        Natalie still held the phone to her ear, listening to the dial tone. She was freaking out on the inside. When Kathryn walked in a few minutes later and saw Natalie spacing out with her jaw hanging open and holding the phone in a grip of death she was worried. 

        "Nat? Are you okay? What's going on?" 

        Natalie turned to face Kathryn and her face exploded with a grin. She ran to Kathryn and spun her in a circle. 

        "Katie! The Adoption Agency called! We have an interview on Wednesday!" 

        "What?!" 

        "We're going to be moms!" 

        They were jumping around in a shared happy dance when Caleb and Luke walked in through the kitchen door. 

        "What's going on, guys?" 

        Kat and Natalie turned to them at the same time with grins that put the Cheshire cat to shame. 

        "The Adoption Agency called and they want to meet with us on Wednesday." 

         Luke and Caleb grinned and rushed over and hugged them both. 

        "That's great. You guys are going to be amazing moms. They have to pick you." 

        "Luke's right. It's a no brainer." 

       Their words of encouragement and reassurance didn't stop them from having doubts and insecurities. Leading up to the day of the interview, Kat and Natalie were going back and forth in their minds on the different outcomes that could happen. By the time they were sitting Melissa's office, they worked themselves up to nervousness. 

        Melissa smiled at the two of them and knew how nervous they were. It was quite common in new applicants to be extremely nervous before their first interview. She was sad to say that some applicants never get past the first interview. In smaller cities and towns it was even more uncommon that same sex couples have the opportunity to become adoptive parents. It was in this case that Melissa had come forward to her bosses. She said that they should give it a try because there are many cases that same sex parents turn out to be great mothers and fathers. She was a huge LGBT advocate because her brother was gay. Living in a small town gave her many opportunities to hear things about the parents that apply to be foster parents. 

        In Natalie and Kathryn's case it was positive, grudgingly positive. Te people in town were very much against the two of them, saying they lived in sin, but they could not ignore that, no matter how rude the town was to them, they were exceptionally nice to others. That was a great quality to have for adoptive children. 

        "What we're here to do today is to see if you are up for the job of adopting and becoming parents. Most of the children in the system are emotional or closed off depending on the situation and homes that they come from. This isn't like going to the SPCA and adopting a puppy, this is a child. We want to make sure that you and that child will be compatible." 

        Nat and Kathryn nodded their heads in agreement. They continued the interview from there, answering questions frequently and receiving information about parenting and things that would help them in difficult situations. 

        "We generally try to match families with children so that the child doesn't have to go through several homes until they turn eighteen. That happens in bigger cities I'm sad to admit. When you do find the child that fits your family I will give you a trial period where you and the child will get to know each other better and decide whether or not you could love this child and raise him as your own." 

        "We want this very badly and we will work our hardest to make him or her feel comfortable." 

        Melissa smiled at them sadly. 

        "Sometimes it isn't anything you do as parents it is the child that doesn't want a home. Don't become discouraged when he or she hides in his room for a couple of days or acts like they don't care. It's how they work. Would you ladies like to see them now?" 

        Natalie and Kathryn looked at her in surprise. 

        "I thought you said there are many interviews that we have to go through to even think about adopting." 

        "Normally yes, but you ladies are an exception to the rule. The higher ups want to try this as a trial for same sex couples here in the area." 

        Natalie didn't feel comfortable with idea of being guinea pigs but if this got her to their goal faster she would brush it aside. They hopped in a car and drove fifteen minutes to a foster home where they would be able to see if they clicked with any children. They walked through several different rooms and cooed at the children. They walked into a living room area and saw something that touched them.  

        An older boy, around 16 roughly, was reading to a little girl around the age of 8. Anyone could tell at a glance that they were related. 

        "I saw you noticed Cole and Elizabeth. They came here together from an abusive family. Cole demanded that they be kept together and, since most adoptive families don't want two children, they've been overlooked." 

        Natalie felt a pang in her chest and she looked over at Kathryn. She could see from her face that she felt the same. Natalie and Kathryn turned to Melissa and nodded their heads.  

        "We want them." 

        Melissa smiled at them. 

        "I knew you would."

*****************************************

A/N: DISCLAIMER: I am aware that adopting doesn't quite work this way, but it had to be kind of for this chapter. ON ANOTHER NOTE! As this story draws to a close, there will be sequels to it. My Best Friend's Love (boyxboy) has been started and will be worked on soon. School started, my last year of college, so I'll be busy. BUT I'll try to upload on Saturdays. This is early due to the fact that I got bored. LOL! Cheers! And happy Reading. XD

CSwartz