Chapter 20

Chapter 20

        "Hello, Kathryn. You look well." 

        Kathryn shook herself from the shock that filled her body and stiffened her back, prepared to do battle if necessary.  

        "What are you doing here?" 

        She watched her mother pause and grimace and swallow. She looked pale underneath her lifelong tan. What was going on? 

        "Kat I-. I wanted to come congratulate you on your ranch and how successful its been." 

        Natalie and Kathryn sensed something else was going on. Anyone could see that there was something going on. It had to be something big if her homophobic bitch of a mother was coming to talk to them. 

        "Why don't you come in, Laura? We'll have some coffee and conversation. You obviously have something you need to say to my wife." 

        Laura flinched at Natalie calling Kathryn her wife. Kat knew she would never be comfortable with it, but she would always hold hope in her heart that her mother would come to an understanding and be there for her. That hope was slowly dying, like a lit match with the wind blowing across the room. She saw her mother slowly nod her head. 

        She walked in as if she were walking into a lion's den. Although she tried to fight it by holding her head high, Kathryn and Natalie saw how shaken she was. They walked into the kitchen, knowing that it would make Laura feel more comfortable because that was the one place that she truly ever felt happy. Making a home for her family was the highlight of her life, so were her children. Were. Apparently giving birth to them didn't count for anything anymore, Kathryn thought bitterly. 

        They sat down at the table while Natalie made the coffee, gathering cups, cream and sugar. It was so silent that a person would be able to hear a pin drop. Why life had to turn out so hard, Natalie would never know. 

        "Kelly says hi." 

        "I know. I talked to her earlier. I talk to all of my siblings." 

        Laura flinched and nodded her head. 

        "I deserve that. Just like a deserve to have God mad at me for having a daughter who likes women." 

        Kathryn inhaled sharply and then laughed wryly. 

        "For some stupid reason I thought you were here to apologize to me and ask me to be your daughter again. Why do I even harbor that hope anymore is beyond me. You're just a homophobic bitch who gave birth to me." 

        Natalie brought the carafe of coffee over with everything on a tray. She calmly poured for everyone and sat right next to Kathryn, taking her hand in her own.  

        "There has to be a reason you're here Laura. You know, other than insulting me and my wife." 

        Laura took a deep breath. 

        "I need investors in the ranch. Ever since Stan... left, it's been difficult to keep the ranch above waters. Your father left you land, Kathryn. He obviously had faith that you would move back here and start a family." 

        "What's your point, mom?" 

        "My point is, that I need investors. It only seems right that I go to Stan's children. All of them. I've already publicly apologized to Jacob." 

        Kathryn blinked and swallowed. 

        "So you aren't even apologizing for morality but you are for greed and proprietary? Who the hell told you that was acceptable? You are so green that you don't even see the greed sprouting from your ears!" 

        "GREED? You think I do this for greed? I'm trying to keep the one thing your father obviously loved alive! How dare you accuse me of being selfish?" 

        "Why can't I accuse you of being selfish when you basically accused me of being the Devil's child, mom? You gave me life. I came out of your freaking vagina! That automatically makes me yours!" 

        "Why can't you do this one last thing for your father? You started all of this shit when you were eighteen, why can't you leave well enough alone? Your father is rolling over in his grave right now because of you!" 

        Kathryn shook her head viciously. She stood up and slammed her hands on the table, spilling coffee all over the place. 

        "No. He's rolling over his grave because his wife is acting like selfish, jealous, egotistic, self-righteous bitch. I don't want you in my house. Leave." 

        Laura shook, barely leashing in her fury. She stormed to the front door, Kathryn following closely behind. 

        "We talked about adopting, m- Laura. It's a shame that they will never know you as their grandmother." 

        With that parting jab, Laura walked out of the house, several beats away from running to her car. Kathryn and Natalie watched her drive down their driveway and out to the rode that led back to her own home. 

        Kathryn's hopes were dashed but she had something to look forward to. Being a mom to some pretty wonderful kids someday who will know what unconditional love means.