Prologue

"What were my results?" I ask. The person running my aptitude test stares at me blankly, almost analyzing me. I think back to the sim, and what could have gone wrong.
    "Choose," a voice says. I look around, and it's all mirrors. I see my reflection, just as I did when I left my Erudite home this morning: red hair tied back in a tight top knot, bright sapphire eyes, freckles, a blue jumper, and white jeans.
    Candor and Erudite tend to fight over the colour white, but I'd rather wear black. I wear it at home when I'm alone.
    "Choose," the voice repeats. I look in front of me, and find my mother and my father in front of me. There is a gun on the table in front of me.
    "No!" I shout immediately. I would never kill my parents!
    "Choose," the voice repeats, and I know this isn't going to end unless I shoot either one of my parents.
    I look to my father. He is extremely tall, and has dark brown hair. But his eyes are identical to mine. His eyes are filled with love, as I am his only child.
    My eyes skirt over to my mother, and she shares my red hair. But her eyes are the most vibrant green, like a field of grass. She is short and lean, and I tower over her. Her eyes hold love for me as well.
    I raise the gun, close my eyes, and fire.
    "It was inconclusive." She whispers.
    "What? That can't be right. Run it again. The test was faulty." I say, refusing to believe what could actually be the truth.
    "You got two results. Dauntless and Erudite." The woman says quietly, and she's deathly calm.
    "That means..." I couldn't speak. The one thing my parents are working so hard to eliminate, what our entire faction is trying to destroy.
    "Divergent. I know. You cannot tell anyone. Not your parents, your friends, anyone. They will kill you, understand?" I nod, starting to shake in fear. "I will manually enter you as Dauntless, given you got 67% Dauntless anyways. Just play along with that, but be smart, Arielle. Choose your faction wisely."
    And with that, she whisked me out the door.

    ***

    "You will be fine. We know you will choose correctly." My father says in my ear as we enter the auditorium where the choosing ceremony is held. I see the five distinct factions seated in their sections, with Amity being the brightest, and Dauntless being the loudest. Half of them weren't even in their seats, they were bustling about their faction's section. Heathens.
    "Let's go find our seats." Mother says. I follow her and my father to our seats. I am wearing black tights, much to my parent's dismay, and a blue blouse. I don't like dressing up, which is something that is opposite of both my parents.
    Marcus Eaton, the father to one of my best friends, Tobias, stands at the front of the room, and begins his yearly Choosing Ceremony speech. Erudite despises him, because apparently he beat Tobias, his only child. Marcus lost his wife, Evelyn, years ago, and Tobias continued to suffer the wrath of his father, alone.
    Tobias ended up transferring to Dauntless, where he placed top in his initiation. Tobias and I have kept in contact, we visit as often as possible. I knew he was beat by his father, but I was sworn to secrecy the first time I caught the glimpse of the belt lashes on his back. I was happy for him when he switched factions.
    "Abbott, Blake." A girl in black and white approaches the front of the room, and slices her hand quickly. She spills her blood over the hot Dauntless coals. Dauntless cheers erupt, and the next name is barely audible.
    The list of sixteen-year-olds passes by slowly, until one name is called, stilling my breathing.
    "Dalton, Arielle."
    I feel my parents squeeze my hands, and I slowly make my way to the front of the room.
    I feel everyone's eyes burning holes in the back of my head. Johanna Reyes, representative of Amity, hands me a knife. She nods to me, and I am face to face with the five bowls.
    Gray stones for Abnegation. I've never been a selfless person.
    Earth for Amity. I'll never be as kind as an Amity.
    Glass for Candor. I don't think I'll ever be honest enough to be a true Candor.
    Burning coals for Dauntless. I've always been warned for my rebellious and fiery actions.
    Water for Erudite. I am one of the top students, guaranteed a life of high class.
    I notice how red the water is for the Erudite bowl, and reminds me of the cold and cruel faction Erudite truly is. And I've never been one to decline a challenge.
    I open my wet, bloody palm, and relish hearing the coals sizzle below.